Staff Network Engineer
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Infrastructure Reliability Engineering - Network Services team provides 2nd level support to manage the day to day operations for Visa Inc’s network. As a Network Support Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to support, manage, and implement improvements to Visa’s global network based on ITIL change, incident and problem management process. This involves working with a 1st level and 2nd level global operations team with 24x7 follow-the-sun coverage. You will work closely with the Network Engineering and Network Tools teams in supporting, managing and implementing improvements to Visa’s global network and also with applications and systems teams to manage and troubleshoot network connectivity. This position is within Infrastructure Reliability Engineering - Network Services team, that architects, engineers and operates Visa’s global backbone, datacenter, and access networks. The Infrastructure Reliability Engineering team is centered around hiring and developing diverse talents who are passionate about building and operating best-in-the-breed infrastructure through technology and innovation.
This is an individual contributor responsible for identifying and resolving issues of advanced complexity. This position is at a senior professional level and requires strong/advanced execution and analytical abilities. This role works independently and receives minimal guidance.
- Lead and take ownership in troubleshooting and resolving complex 2nd level network related problems, coordinate resources where necessary and serve as escalation point to 1st level operational teams
- Respond to and resolve IP network issues within the timeframe of severity level agreements
- Observe and identify trends of recurring problem and provide resolution to prevent recurrence
- Deploy client solutions and network design implementations
- Support all aspects of the network management process assuring requests, implementation, and problems are delivered as required with no impact to the global communications environment
- Take initiative to proactively discover potential network impacts
- Lead and take ownership in problem resolution and root cause analysis
- Participate in tasks related to change, incident and problem management
- Mentor and coach junior Network Support Engineer in resolving technical issues
- Document, create and maintain operational run-books based from best practice and from knowledge/experience gained from day-to-day operations for continuous operational improvement.
- Conduct internal technical briefing/training for level1 and level2 network operations team
- Deploy and document changes in accordance with problem and change management process
- Participate in managing projects introduced by engineering team assuring full implementation and documentation standards are adhered to. Complete the projects objectives within timelines
- Lead and ensure all new implementations and designs are operationally supportable
- Communicate to customers, resolution and root cause resulting from the outage or service interruption
- Perform most effective approach to restore, recover, or alter configurations, logical or physical, to maintain service integrity
- Ability to write fluently and communicate to senior management in non-technical terms
- Candidate is expected to be On-call duty and work over weekends on rotational basis with other team members.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or a related field is required. Post graduate degree a plus
- Requires a minimum of 8 years experience in network support/administration.
- Current CCNP qualified or other similar industry certifications with related professional experience. CCIE would be an advantage.
- Have strong technical problem determination ability, analytical skills, exceptional system implementation, installation, and disaster recovery planning and ongoing administration experience.
- Broad knowledge in background in TCP/IP, MPLS, WAN, and LAN.
- Strong working knowledge with network packet analysis using wireshark or similar tools.
- Good working knowledge in F5 LTM/GTM, Cisco Catalyst/Nexus switches, Arista switches, Cisco/Juniper routers
- Experience or background with automation using Ansible and/or Python would be desired.
- Experience in using network tools like Solarwinds (creating/maintaining dashboards), Netbrain (creating/maintaining runbooks) and Netscout would be desired.
- Experience or background with AWS and Kubernetes with networking focus.
- Experience or background with SDN technologies such as Versa SD-WAN.
- Working experience with DNS tools, Neustar and/or Terraform
- Working experience with CDN providers such as Cloudflare or Akamai
- Experience in an application hosting or data center environment.
- Experience maintaining highly available and highly secure networks.
- Good process orientation and ability to clarify objectives, evaluate options, consider implications, assess risks, and make key decisions.
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Sound planning, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Good project management skills.
- ITIL certification preferred with good understanding of change, incident and problem management process
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among concurrent projects.
- Willing to work as a team and share responsibilities where needed
- Ability to convey network concepts and issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.