Director, North America Communications
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second.
The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Director of North America Communications is responsible for supporting Visa’s external communications efforts in the U.S. through strategic media relations, storytelling and digital communications with a focus on driving programs to shape public opinion in support of the company's policy and legislative priorities at the federal and state level. In this role, you will ensure the company is proactively managing key issues and will be the point person for issues management in the North America region.
You will collaborate with Visa’s Government Engagement team to drive and create alliances and build credibility on behalf of the company with key organizations in Washington, DC.
This individual will also work with the rest of the Global Corporate and North America Communications team to create an executive visibility strategy and proactive communications program to ensure the company is represented at the right forums in Washington, D.C. The individual will play a pivotal role in Visa’s thought leadership agenda, ensuring we are telling stories that explain Visa’s corporate purpose and role in society to the U.S. government and regulatory audiences and beyond.
This role requires a dynamic, well-rounded team player who can create proactive communications strategies while managing ongoing and late breaking issues. This leader will have a blend of corporate communications (thought leadership, messaging, media relations and executive visibility) and public affairs (D.C./government affairs and crisis management) experience. This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area office and will report to the Senior Director of Global Corporate and North America Communications.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor's degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an advanced degree (MBA/Master's) with progressive track record of experience in the field of public relations and corporate communications.
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or 10 years of work experience with an advanced degree (MBA/Master's) working in the field of public relations/ corporate communications
- Political campaign, Capitol Hill and/or public affairs/communications experience at a corporation, trade association or agency, a plus
- You have experience building relationships in DC with key organizations preferred
- You have deep understanding of the connection points between business and public policy
- You are fluent in multi-channel campaigns including social, digital, earned and paid media
- You have stellar writing, editing skills and oral communications skills
- Excellent persuasive written and verbal communications skills, including interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to use data and metrics to inform planning and make decisions
- Ability to work effectively in a matrixed environment and with blurry boundaries regarding roles/responsibilities
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and manage multiple projects, often on short deadlines and under pressure
- You have proven ability to think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative
- Self-starter approach to work and strong problem solver
- You have ability to work remotely with limited supervision
- Ability to not take him/herself too seriously and a sense of humor.
Public Affairs -- in this role you will:
- Create public affairs strategies and develop integrated communications plans on complex subjects in support of the company's business priorities.
- Build relationships and alliances with influencers and organizations; both non-partisan and across the political spectrum, that can help advance the company's mission.
- Act as communications liaison with key trade associations, such as Electronic Payments Coalition, American Bankers Association, and Business Round Table, amongst others.
- Maintain strong awareness of relevant public policy debates and media trends, and align public affairs programs accordingly
- Drive an executive visibility strategy and proactive communications program to reach key constituents at the U.S. federal and state level.
- Serve as point person for crisis management for the North America region.
- Effectively coordinate activities with Government Engagement and broader Corporate Communications team.
- Manage agency resources in support of key programs and initiatives.
Corporate Communications - in this role you will:
- Develop and execute strategic, integrated communications programs that span traditional and digital media to advance company goals.
- Use data and metrics to both research development of communications plans and to report on outcomes and pivot accordingly.
- Draft compelling narratives in support of company priorities.
- Support regional thought leadership efforts through content creation and amplification efforts through direct to client and digital channels.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment (phones and computers), reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
The incumbent may be required to travel up to 10% - 20% (travel would be post covid)
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law