Director of Product Development
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Verifi Product Development is seeking a Director of Product Development to lead a world-class team of software and systems engineers to deliver client-ready solutions by building the next generation of systems, automation and tools to support overall productivity and developer efficiencies. You will provide strategy, vision and technical leadership to the product development organizations across Visa Verifi to ensure engineering teams are building products that use a foundational approach that prioritizes high availability and security.
You will be responsible for hiring and developing top engineering talent, keeping the team highly engaged and motivated while delivering exceptional results. Your ability to work across functions and teams will allow you to ensure alignment of priorities and goals, drive results and foster the right culture and environment to achieve Engineering Excellence and Innovation. You will be responsible for working with product development, quality engineering, security engineering, enterprise operations and other internal and external technology partners to deliver products for business integration & enablement.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance within Visa Technology Compliance Policies on tools development, automation, system stability, availability and overall integration strategies and plans.
- Develop technology strategies and road maps to meet business objectives by collaborating with Development, Operations, and other Visa's organizations.
- Own system technical design discussions with global teams to ensure business and technical requirements are understood and properly documented and implemented, including understanding customer scenarios.
- Keep executive management informed of progress and any obstacles of development, Releases and risks to Visa and to its customers.
- Apply creative thinking/approaches to determine the best solutions that further support developer efficiency.
- Partner with product development and application architecture teams to drive the evolution of availability, across VMs and Containers.
- Establish clear, aligned goals and direction; provide candid feedback and coaching to maximize team competency, support career management and development of direct reports.
- Achieve Operational/Engineering Excellence: availability, stability, efficiency, with an availability first mindset directed towards all product development efforts.
Required Key Competencies:
- Technical and Functional Excellence: The candidate will have demonstrated aptitude/capability to manage within a framework of operational and engineering excellence along with direct experience leading a global organization. The candidate will possess a deep technical understanding of current and future trends within the payments industry and be capable of developing and executing a strategy that leverages new technology to support system stability, availability, and product evolution and business performance. S/he is an expert in designing, developing, and deploying scalable software solutions to deliver exceptional quality to clients.
- Thought Leadership: The successful individual brings a mindset that embraces innovation and questions conventional wisdom. S/he will be a recognized domain expert in key areas such as resiliency technology, system availability and tools development. In addition, s/he is an expert with regards to emerging technology trends, innovation, and developments related to mobile applications and digital technologies. S/he understands quality success measures.
- Team Leadership: The candidate will recruit, lead, mentor, and develop an excellent engineering technology team and provide opportunities for growth to ensure continuity of the department’s leadership. The ideal candidate will develop a culture comfortable with challenging current market paradigms to achieve and exceed goals. The candidate will help build best-in-class capabilities at Visa.
Individual & Organizational Leadership:
The candidate will think with a global mindset and develop solutions to meet the varying needs of everyone, everywhere. The candidate will be mission driven and passionate about having a lasting impact by driving change in the payments industry. The candidate will enjoy working at a fast pace, be self-directed, and will be able to manage multiple and competing challenges, issues and priorities. The candidate will be motivated to explore new technologies and learn new things, while also recognizing that many good ideas and implementations may already exist. The candidate will be a customer champion.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- 10+ years’ experience in software development, systems engineering, operations leadership, and or support; at least five of which are in senior management roles. Digital, mobile, and payments product development experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with tools development, automation (CI/CD, Auto Deployment, System Availability, etc.).
- Extended experience in Agile Release Management practices, governance, and planning.
- Ability to quickly identify and manage/mitigate risks.
- Ability to influence Senior Leadership on direction of engineering efficiencies and integration management through data, roadmaps, short/long term plans, etc.
- Strong ability to build and sustain working and strategic relationships across technology.
- Experience with large-scale systems with both VM and Container based multi data-center (active active) solutions, external 3rd parties such as Akamai, Cloud Fare, etc. and how to bring the solution together into a single view.
- Extensive technical experience with full stack HTTP, APIs, JSON, Rest, databases, Java and web frameworks at scale.
- Experience with both NoSQL and SQL datastores including Oracle, Cassandra, MySQL, MongoDB
- Experience in eCommerce systems.
- Experience within container space, understands and able to quickly build and drive team to support future systems.
- Strong leadership and people management skills with demonstrated ability to lead global, cross-functional teams.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure and tight deadlines.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.