Visa Rules Management, Director
- Beijing, China
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Rules Management team establishes and enforces common interoperable rules, policies and standards for our products and services by which clients must operate their Visa programs (“Visa Rules”). The role will manage the development of rule language, including Regional and Domestic rules namely Visa Operating Regulations in China market (“Visa China Rules”). This includes participating in and advising in the development of rules, impact analysis, and technical language, understanding the downstream impacts of business function sponsor proposals for new or updated products, systems services, programs or other initiatives.
The role will engage with senior Visa Inc. and Visa China market teams and Regional Management, as well as representatives from the National Bank (The People’s Bank of China – “PBOC”) and other authorities as needed, to facilitate Visa’s compliance with local regulatory requirements vis a vie Visa China Rules. It will also provide the PBOC, clients and internal staff with accurate interpretation and analysis of operating regulations including the Visa China Rules in response to inquiries and/or proposed activities.
This role is an individual contributor at an advanced support staff level and is responsible for applying independent judgment in developing contractual terms through
standards and assisting the business in resolving issues and making recommendations to achieve business goals.
To manage the development of Visa Rules and Visa China Rules including understanding the downstream impacts of business function sponsor proposals for new or updated products, systems, services, programs or other initiatives regarding the client legal agreements for CEMEA and AP regions, including China market. Ensure that all drafted rules are consistent with current Visa philosophy while adapting to market-driven change. Ensure that all materials meet department standards of quality and are delivered to the Visa Rules Committee (VRC) for approval. Ensure that changes to Visa Rules and Visa China Rules adhere to regulatory requirements and guide Visa staff on the change and notification process with internal stakeholders, clients and the PBOC as needed.
The role requires guiding Business Function sponsors through the process of concept, development, review, approval and publication. In addition, the role ensures that all appropriate approvals are obtained from Visa Inc. Committee’s as appropriate as well as ensuring all such processes are documented and managed within the global function. The incumbent will also provide Clients, PBOC and other regulatory bodies in China and Visa staff with accurate interpretation and analysis of Visa Rules and Visa China Rules in response to telephone or written inquiries, and as a full project team member for assigned projects as required.
• Responsible for ensuring Visa Rules and Visa China Rules reflect the goals and strategy for Visa Inc.
• Provision of SME leadership to other Visa staff on Visa Rules and Visa China Rules
• Management of multiple revision topics with Business Sponsors at any one time prioritizing as appropriate and provision of direction to staff in various Visa business functions
• Accountable for ensuring that the Visa Rules and Visa China Rules are easy to understand and do not leave Visa open to any unintended consequences
• Development of new and revised Visa Rules and Visa China Rules and Waivers
• Responsible for reviewing and modifying translation of Visa China Rules in line with regulatory requirements and develop required supportive documentation as needed
• Lead the PBOC Audit and/or Assessment processes as required along with actions to respond to audit points / questions
• Interact with senior level officers at PBOC and other regulatory authorities
• Support of VRC Due Diligence and Governance Process
• Review of Visa Business News (VBN’s) prior to release
• Communicating waiver approvals to impacted clients
• Managing and assisting in the publication of the regulations
• Development assistance for Supplemental Requirements to the Visa Rules and Visa China Rules that are also contractually binding
• Development of Redacted Disclosure Regulations for the public version of the Visa Rules and Visa China Rules
• Support the development of departmental procedures, development and maintenance
• Must manage independently to priorities liaising with business functions as required based on Visa Inc. strategy and key business drivers to ensure revenue is maximized
• Represent Visa Rules Management team with regional offices to ensure Visa global initiatives and best practice effectively introduced across both AP and CEMEA regions
Bachelors/Degree or equivalent experience; Minimum of 12+ years progressively responsible experience in financial services, payment card, banking, audit or compliance is required
• Strong interpersonal skills and proven abilities in negotiating with and influencing customers and staff at all levels, including strong written and verbal communications skills with diplomacy and tact
• Excellent writing and verbal skills in both English and Chinese
• Strong analytical aptitude and demonstrated track record of working with data to develop business oriented solutions as well as the ability to apply sound business analysis to limit the downstream impact of decisions
• Proven project management skills to co-ordinate divergent interests, commensurate with managing a multi-faceted compliance program at an international level
• Experience gathering business requirements and translating needs into successful deliverables
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, SharePoint and Visio is a plus
• Ability to set priorities and manage expectations, and work both as part of a team and independently
• Ability to effectively work under pressure, self-challenging and adhering to tight deadlines
• Knowledge of the payment solutions industry and/or experience with Regulatory Bodies, Card Membership Organizations or other Financial Industry bodies banking industry is highly desired