Staff Performance Engineer - Digital Developer Platform
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Accountable for creating application and infrastructure performance plans/models for a highly scalable, low-latency, highly-available and high-throughput payment processing system.
Work with the architects and development team to ensure proper metrics instrumentation done in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring.
Evaluate, develop and execute load test tools to stress the limits of Visa’s most critical payment applications.
Understand and performance test the APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems.
Should have experience in defining Performance Strategy and reporting performance baselines required to certify Go-Lives. Should have strong experience in handling multiple tasks and stakeholders
Should be well versed in documenting the steps performed during course of performance tests cycle including performance test scripts used
Should be able to provide mentor support emphasizing performance testing methodology, preparation, scripting, execution planning, simulation and test results reporting.
Should be able to able to look at the code and suggest optimization techniques.
Should have ability to work independently and be a team player.
Actively contribute to capacity planning and disaster recovery exercises.
Support in triaging and troubleshooting of issues related to performance degradation incidents in production environment
Monitor application performance, optimize performance bottlenecks and usage to create an application capacity model.
Help optimizing system components such as CPU/Memory/Disk/Network & OS/Application software for maximizing the computer resources utilization.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5-8 years' hands-on experience in Performance Engineering areas.
- Expert knowledge in hardware, software, and distributed applications environments and solid understanding of their associated capacity and performance indicators
- Expert knowledge and strong experience using tools, Loadrunner/Jmeter,. etc. and understanding of APM solutions like Appdynamics, dynatrace, OPNET,. etc
- Hands on experience in Unix/Linux OS environments and operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols.
- System internals. Having working knowledge with VMs and Containers.
- Coding Knowledge in programming languages like Java/Python and scripting languages is must
- Experience in ORACLE/MYSQL DB tuning and optimization
- Knowledge of distributed database, distributed computing and high frequency transactions is a big plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of MQ/Kafka system.
- Working familiarity with the entire software development lifecycle including version control, build process, testing, and code release
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal, facilitation and leadership skills.
- Deeply self-motivated with the ability to work independently, coordinating activities within cross-regional and multi-functional teams.
- Previous experience with financial services or payments processing domain is a big plus.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.