Senior Director, Commercial Network Engineering
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Senior Director of Global Commercial Network Engineering role will have overall responsibility and accountability for all engineering aspects of Visa’s commercial network, which connects clients around the globe to Visa’s datacenters. This is a critical role that will provide senior leadership and technical expertise for the engineering design and development of Visa’s existing/future commercial network to deliver best-in-class network availability, resiliency, security, and performance.
This position reports to the Vice President, Global Network Engineering. The successful candidate will manage the regional Commercial Network Engineering teams (DEX/CYBS, LAC, AP/CEMEA, Europe) and work closely with the Global Network Architecture team and the Global Network Operations team.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior technology leader to make key contributions to help transform Visa’s global networks toward next-generation capabilities. The commercial network is the vital fabric at the heart of Visa’s service offerings, and is among Visa’s most critical infrastructure.
The successful candidate will provide senior technical leadership in several networking areas of expertise, including routing and switching and software-defined networking (SDN). (S)/He will develop and execute new initiatives to simplify, standardize, and optimize the global commercial network designs to reduce cycle times and increase reliability, stability, security, and service agility. (S)/He will work collaboratively with key internal stakeholders across several functional and technology areas of Visa to execute business priorities and meet challenges of technology, regulatory, security, and competitive conditions.
The successful candidate will have responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
- Commercial client network routing & switching design
- Engineering life-cycle management of the commercial network infrastructure
- Change/incident/problem management at network engineering level
- Client/partner engagements, including carrier/vendor management
- Third-level operational support
- Establish best-practice network engineering methodologies for incident/change/problem management in a global, 24x7, high-volume, high-availability, critical production environment, based on metrics-based KPIs.
- Develop network design and implementation roadmaps to meet the company's operations & infrastructure business goals and metrics for availability, resiliency and performance.
- Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations.
- Lead the development of innovative network engineering tools and processes, as well as proof-of-concept projects and lab trials with a focus on multi-vendor solutions and innovative technologies, particularly SDN.
- Provide subject matter expertise and support to network operations teams as needed for third-level operational support.
- Provide leadership to manage demands from projects and technology upgrades including recommendations for vendor tools/solutions and global alignment of networks.
- Oversee all network engineering projects, including budgeting, planning, implementation, maintenance, administration, staffing and logistics.
- Keen understanding of budgets and financials, and measuring business value via leading-edge metrics and KPIs.
- Mentor, manage and motivate a high-performing team of senior engineers and managers (including at director/senior-director-level) and set clear priorities to achieve department goals and KPIs.
- Manage oversight of complex network operations processes based on a combination of vendors, custom solutions, and internal resources.
- Decision making authority is broad and can have significant material impact on cost, business planning and success of Visa's core business.
- Support adoption of new technologies and tools, recommend capability improvements to network engineering, and assist in lab deployments for technology trials.
- Ensure that information security and risk management are embedded within the culture, requiring continuous improvement to a complex set of functions to coordinate security and compliance risks related to information systems and assets. Drive coordination, consensus, and execution to mitigate cybersecurity risk issues and emerging threats in such a dynamic environment.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of operation, administration, and maintenance of the networking infrastructure, including development of Risk Management, Identity/Access Management, Information Security and Privacy, and Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Plans.
- Determine need for new products and systems based on budget, client needs, and improvements in technology.
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in data network design, configuration, administration, maintenance and/or support.
- Analyze network from a cost, capacity, and forecast perspective, and evaluate new network designs, technologies and applications.
- Work closely with other departments to proactively ensure network engineering capabilities are capable of handling emerging and future business requirements.
- Ensure service level targets are met, and address all service-level complaints from a network engineering perspective.
- Ensure network implementations and engineering processes are conducted according to corporate standards, and in compliance with external standards as defined in company objectives (e.g., ITIL, COBIT, ISO27001/27002 and similar).
- Participate in disaster recovery/business continuity activities, as needed.
- Comfort in working through corporate culture with purpose and energy to promote a unified approach.
- Establish standards and governance in future acquisitions to mitigate risk and maximize network stability.
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with partners and customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally.
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD.
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD).
- Prior experience with managing a large, global network engineering team and implementing next-generation network design to support large-scale deployments for high-volume, high-availability consumer-facing and B2B network interactions.
- Prior experience in improving stabilization of complex enterprise networks.
- Prior experience in re-engineering complex Internet architectures for latency-sensitive business services.
- Prior experience in working with highly-effective engineering teams through major technology transitions.
- Proven track record of driving change and transformation in network engineering technologies, tools, and processes through metrics-driven, KPI-based methodologies, and an evidence-based continuous improvement approach to best meet business objectives and priorities.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of networking technologies and solid understanding of the software-defined networking (SDN) ecosystem.
- Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out network technologies.
- Experience in managing cost-reduction programs.
- Excellent communicator and able to drive consensus across diverse/global technology teams.
- Must have strong and pragmatic views about open standards with supporting evidence.
- Track record in developing next-generation leaders.
- Demonstrated experience of metrics-driven management with accountability.
- Demonstrated understanding of tools and technologies in network engineering ecosystem.
- Prior experience in network engineering strategic planning.
- Demonstrated consistent and steady growth in career
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.