PhD New Graduate Staff Data Scientist-Visa Research
- Austin, TX, USA
Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa Research is a newly created research organization as part of the company's effort on expanding its technology research capabilities globally. Visa Research conducts both applied and fundamental research. It engages with the company's technology and product teams, business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that are critical to the payments industry in the future. Visa Research currently focuses on building research teams in three key areas: Data Analytics, Security, and Future of Payment. We are looking for outstanding researchers and engineers at all levels of experience as part of the founding team in the Data Analytics area, reporting to the Head of Data Analytics. Working on data analytics research at Visa is a unique opportunity at a time when the payments industry is undergoing a digital transformation with data as a critical differentiator. We offer you the opportunity to be at the center of innovation in the payments industry and unleash the power of data through conducting advanced research on data analytics for the future of payment.
The Staff Data Scientist will work with a team to conduct world-class research on data analytics and contribute to the long-term research agenda in large-scale data analytics and machine learning, as well as deliver innovative technologies and insights to Visa's strategic products and business. This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as a world-leading data-driven company. The successful candidate must have strong academic track record and demonstrate excellent software engineering skills. The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent collaboration skills.
* Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
* 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or
* 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or
* 3 years of experience with a PhD.
* PhD study in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics and related fields
* Proficiency with object oriented programming languages, such as Python, and Lua.
* Experience with large scale data processing using Hadoop and MapReduce
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate
* Research experience in machine learning is a plus, but not required
* Design and implement efficient and scalable machine learning algorithms.
* Integrate data processing and training pipelines with big data infrastructure.
* Develop proof-of-concept prototype with fast iteration and experimentation.
* Develop and maintain software design documentation, test cases, and performance evaluation.
* Works within an agile software engineering methodology and collaborative team development architecture.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.