Sr. Director, Gateway Services Development
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
In this mission critical role, you will be at the forefront in leading, defining, elaborating and building the next generation of systems that provide connectivity and access into Visa. The access systems are fundamental to the Visa Business and amongst only a handful of the most mission critical systems at Visa. You will lead and guide your team to deliver access solutions that fit into the wider efforts to re-engineer Visa’s core processing systems. You must provide unmatched managerial and technical leadership in analysis, architecture, design and implementation. Nothing less than absolute success is required and you will manage new projects, taking absolute ownership with precise end-to-end planning, resource management and communications to the very top levels relative to your peers. You will be leading an outstanding and expanding software engineering team and will be expected to identify, mentor and grow the next generation of leaders and SMEs.
It’s all about exceptional leadership. Outstanding strategy. Long-term vision. Thought leadership. Excellence in execution. Superlative communications. If this is who you are, please apply immediately.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Take a leadership role in the long-term architecture effort to define the next generation of access systems, including production implementation.
- Manage a large team of software engineers, spread across multiple locations ensuring that staff are fully engaged, satisfied and productive; critically expand an additional self-reliant remote team with its own management structure.
- In managing the team, you will lead the full range of SDLC activities and be expected to guide and bring your expertise fully to bear in software management and delivery. You must deliver software and systems to the highest levels of security at Visa.
- You will manage projects, taking absolute ownership with end-to-end planning, resource management and communications. Project management and execution are inherent to this role.
- Provide full mentorship and identify key staff to become the next generation of leaders in the U.S. and beyond with full succession planning. Build solid cross-partner relationships with other Technology teams as well as external groups including the Product Office, Client Services and Risk & Compliance. You will need excellent negotiating skills to represent the department to the highest levels.
- Be total quality focused with a keen eye to deliver quality and sustainability – driving others to do the same. Ensure that the right development processes, tools and metrics are in place for superlative product delivery.
- Be self-motivated, results driven, with the ability to quickly establish clear, well thought out action plans and aggressively drive deliverables to completion under tight deadlines.
- The ability to inspire passion in others, and the ability to establish and sell the technical vision for a complex problem domain.
- This position will require limited travel to Singapore and other US locations.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- At least 5 years in managing a large team of software engineers. Experience working with cross-geographical teams is preferred.
- Must have 5+ years’ experience in architecting, developing, maintaining and supporting mission-critical systems.
- A proven track record of leading large software projects from inception to delivery and a background in technical project management is required. Must have specific and demonstrable experience in improving software productivity, work processes, development methods and production support capability.
- Must excel and have demonstrable experience in hiring the best talent available coupled with retention and growth.
- Experience in object oriented design, Unix/Linux. C++, Java, Python, HTTP, Networking and associated technologies is required.
- An excellent understanding of security related technologies and secure programming practices is required.
- Real-world experience implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery solutions. Experience with JIRA, GIT, Jenkins, Artifactory, Junit and other process/development tools is a must.
- The role requires superlative communication skills: verbal, written and presentation.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during and beyond core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law