Intern (Masters) - Data Scientist
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
To ensure that Visa’s payment technology is truly available to everyone, everywhere requires the success of our key bank or merchant partners and internal business units. The Digital Products Platform - Data Analytics and Insight group supports these partners by using our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally and captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year. Our focus lies on building creative solutions that have an immediate impact on the business of our Digital Products partners. To support our rapidly growing products, we are looking for Intern - Data Scientist who are equally passionate about the opportunity to use Visa’s rich data to tackle meaningful business problems in our digital solutions.
The position is based at our headquarter office in Foster City, CA.
Be an out-of-the-box thinker who is passionate about brainstorming innovative ways to use our unique data to answer business problems
- Product Performance: Develop and standardize a series of reports and dashboards to track end-to-end traffic and performance for multiple digital payment products.
- Data Insights: Analyze business metrics and develop insights to drive key business decisions. Design visualization to translate the complex patterns to business users
- Models: Develop both business and statistical models using predictive analytics and machine learning to support product growth and forecast outlook
- Analytics: Ability to break down a problem from the business level, translate into tangible, methodical next steps. Extract and understand data to form an opinion on how to best help our clients and derive relevant insights
- Cross-functional: Taking the next steps from the analysis above and communicate to technical, product and business partners.
- Must graduate with a Masters degree between August 2020 - June 2021 to be considered.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (or equivalent scale)
- 1+ years experience in data-based decision-making or quantitative analysis
- Master’s degree in an analytical field such as statistics, operations research, economics, computer science or many others (graduate degree is a plus)
- Experience with extracting and aggregating data from large data sets using SQL or other tools (i.e., Hadoop Hive)
- Competence in Excel, PowerPoint and Tableau
- Experience in understanding and analyzing data using statistical software (e.g., Python, SAS, R, Stata or others)
- Previous exposure to financial services, credit cards or merchant analytics and knowledge of digital and mobile payment landscape
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent in task prioritization skill
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.