Storage Administrator - SAN
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Storage Administrator, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
This Storage Administrator position is within the Storage Operations Team and falls under Global Systems Support. This position will support, certify, and document storage and backup infrastructure, as well as serve as a Level 2 escalation point for existing infrastructure. This position is expected to interact with Systems, Database, Engineering, Asset Management, Product Development, Operations, Audit and Risk, and various groups within Technology. This role must have strong communication and analytical skills.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance, security, and availability of Storage and SAN infrastructure based on business requirements and adhering to tight operations, security, and procedural models
- Responsible for complex provisioning, advanced maintenance, data replication, disaster recovery, data migration and documentation for our Open Systems Storage and Backup environments
- Demonstrate a high level of technical expertise to support complex Storage & Backup devices, including SAN, NAS and Backup solutions across all tiers, under minimal supervision
- Operate in complex, highly-secure, highly-available, operations-centric data centre environments and interact with other technology domain experts as required, to build and maintain the Open Systems Storage and Backups solutions in those data centre environments
- This position requires a dynamic, hard-working and ambitious individual, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Assist in change management processes
- Improve the efficiency and help standardize current processes
- Respond to and resolve incident and problem tickets
- Document and thoroughly understand the application architecture, system configuration across platforms and interface with various systems and use this knowledge effectively to resolve issues
- Work closely with customer support team to communicate the root cause of the outage, duration and recommendations or steps to resolve issues
- Participate in Service Improvement Meetings after an application outage
- Respond to general inquiries
- Document the incident in the tracking tool
- Vendor contact for routine, documented incidents as well as operational problems
- Provide assistance as required in analyzing the trends and suggesting long-term and short-term improvements
- Resolve incidents and problems in accordance within defined guidelines and meet operational level agreements
- Implement change requests and meet project deliverables within defined guidelines
- Achieve and understand Service Level commitments for all open systems platform
What we’re after…
- Strong expertise of automation technologies including scripting; Python, BASH,
- Monitoring, Tuning, Troubleshooting, and root cause analysis
- Maintains expertise across multiple infrastructure technologies – Storage, SAN Fabric, and Recovery services
- Strong organisation and analysis skills
- Strong focus on quality and customer service
- Must be able to multitask and prioritise work
- Strong analytical and practical problem solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field is preferred
- Solid experience working in SAN/Storage/Backup Administration
- Experience working in large, complex, enterprise data centre environments
- Experience with designing, deploying and supporting Open Systems, Enterprise SAN and NAS solutions
- Hands-on experience with EMC, HDS and IBM Enterprise and Midrange storage arrays
- Hands-on experience with Brocade and/or Cisco SAN Switches and Routers
- Hands-on experience with Isilon and/or NetApp NAS storage arrays
- Experience installing, configuring, supporting and maintaining Enterprise Backup solutions comprising disk-based VTLs
- Hands-on experience with Symantec NetBackup and/or EMC Data Domain
- Experience with UNIX (Linux, AIX, Solaris), VMware or other hypervisors, and Windows operating environments
- Experience with storage configuration, volume management and path management software tools (LVM, Native MPIO, EMC PowerPath, HDS HDLM, etc.)
- Experience with disaster recovery as it relates to storage systems and data recovery techniques, including disk replication, snapshots and disaster recovery best practices
- Ability to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of Storage and Backup infrastructure
- Intermediate analysis and troubleshooting skills for the end-to-end storage and backup stack (VMs, hosts, SAN switches, Storage, and Recovery services).
- Experience in system monitoring tools and techniques for supporting SAN, NAS and Backups operations, alerting and remediation
- Scripting proficiency in both Windows and UNIX environments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong inter-personal skills
- Able to multi-task in order to meet goal of low MTTR (mean time to repair)
- Strong ability to self-learn new storage technologies
- Storage and ITIL related certifications are preferred
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.