Senior US Economist, Business and Economic Insights
- Foster City, CA, United States
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
We have an exciting opportunity for a seasoned professional to build upon the foundation established for our macroeconomics team covering the U.S. region. The Senior U.S. Economist (Director) will work with the Principal U.S. Economist to provide macroeconomic analysis and business intelligence, working to retain and grow Visa's client network, and contributing to Visa's voice on the U.S. economy.
Essential Functions include:
- Lead the U.S. Economics team’s forecasting efforts including forecast model construction and maintenance.
- Work with the Principal U.S. Economist to develop economic content for the team’s client presentations and U.S. economics publications.
- Coordinate allocation of work across the U.S. regional team and manage research pipeline to maximize efficiency, throughput and quality.
- Contribute to cross-functional projects with Visa’s Consulting and Analytics team.
- Assume responsibility for project processes and management, communication and dissemination of economic insights.
- Provide thought leadership to Visa senior management and clients by developing insights into the interplay between U.S. macroeconomic developments, payment industry trends and consumer spending behavior.
- Develop financial and business use cases to support new macroeconomic research and services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal Visa stakeholders and partners.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry vendors where applicable.
We seek experienced, proactive, high-achieving professionals to bring innovative ideas to our economic analysis and consulting engagements.
10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with a Masters/MBA/JD/MD or at least 5 years of work experience with a PhD
Specific requirements include:
- Graduate degree in economics required along with a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in financial services or economic analysis.
- Advanced training and/or experience in econometrics is required. Experience constructing time series economic forecast models would be a plus.
- Experience using statistical software such as eViews, STATA, or SAS; functional knowledge and experience with IHS DataInsight, Haver Analytics and Bloomberg would be a plus.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage own and others' priorities and adapt as required to an unstructured, fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to translate complex macroeconomic trends' and their impact on the payments industry, effectively conveying the implications to Visa and Visa’s clients.
- Ability to lead and influence others' decisions, including senior management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, story-telling and presentation skills
- Listening skills and ability to interact at the executive level.
- Expert usage of Powerpoint and Excel.
- Willingness to travel.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.