Senior Director, Retail Partnerships
- San Francisco, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Senior Director of U.S. Retail Partnerships for North America (NA) Merchant is responsible for developing and executing sales, acceptance, and cobrand strategies for Visa’s largest retail clients in the United States. This position will require thought leadership, vision and creativity to deepen partnerships with these merchants in an effort to increase Visa’s acceptance and co-brand revenues, grow Visa usage and drive new payment solutions to address opportunity areas for incremental business. This role will report to the VP of Retail Partnerships – NA Merchant and will also work directly with key executives from functions across Visa such as Specialized Sales, Global Co-brand & Partnership Development, Product, Innovation, Finance, Legal, Marketing, CyberSource, and Customer Support teams. Externally, this role will collaborate with senior client executives at clients such as Gap, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and other key retailers.
- Define and drive high-profile, cross functional strategies and create detailed account plans that will achieve Visa’s scorecard goals, address customer needs, and meet contractual commitments
- Collaborate with internal partners to communicate Retail team strategies, identify and cultivate new merchant growth opportunities, and sell Visa products and services. Collaborate with those partners – including CyberSource, Visa Consulting & Analytics, CPS, Product, Interchange, Compliance, FI Sales, Global Co-branding & Partnership Development and Marketing – to develop and implement detailed account plans for assigned accounts.
- Manage, grow and renew existing co-brand agreements: develop proposals, client pitches and negotiate new business agreements to enhance existing relationships as well as to drive incremental Visa revenues
- Foster strong relationships at senior levels with the client organizations and among internal partners
- Participate in sales meetings, industry conferences and training activities
- Lead various ad-hoc internal projects as assigned
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- Curious with a strong analytic orientation and understanding of the Retail ecosystem
- Strong executive presence and exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to serve as "voice of customer" with internal stakeholders and external clients
- Strong technical skills including a deep understanding of Visa’s co-brand and acceptance products, services and economics and how they impact large Retail clients
- Superior strategic thought leadership, analytical skills and ability to develop and sell net new strategies for her/his assigned accounts
- Knowledge of key competitor actions and their implications and threats
- An understanding of the organization's market position, opportunities, capabilities, and competitive threats
Executing for Results
- Strong project management skills: organized, with excellent attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to lead complex cross-functional initiatives across a breadth of stakeholders
- Balances urgent and effective action, commitment to excellence, and taking initiative to resolve problems; holds internal stakeholders accountable where appropriate
- Credibility earned through strong track record of delivery and results
- Capable of executing short-term (tactical) and long term (strategic) plans
- Experience leading cross-functional teams in matrixed organizations
- Demonstrated ability to achieve sales results; with demonstrated trouble shooting / problem solving skills
- Ability to be an effective partner and have difficult conversations when necessary
- Decisiveness and an orientation to action on team decisions
- Demonstrate Visa’s Leadership Principles in everything you do
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence successfully within a highly-matrixed organization; Strong followership.
- Ability to influence and achieve alignment across a range of different opinions and interests
- Strong communication, listening, and negotiation skills; able to convey and package important messages/business strategies and proposals in a clear and compelling manner to all audiences up to executive levels
- Strong negotiation and contract execution skills
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work ~ 10% of the time
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.