Blockchain Research Engineer, Visa Research
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Research Engineer, you will discover, lead, and manage the engineering needs of a world-renowned research team on a variety of research projects in the Visa research group. In this role, you will drive innovations by introducing technologies, methods, and solutions to deliver innovative distributed and decentralized products.
You will drive innovation from ideation to implementation. The innovation will build on the foundation distributed computing, blockchain, cloud computing, security, and cryptography, and will research and build seamless, fast, reliable and secure payment solutions.
You will, in many cases, interact with different stake holders, senior executives, research scientists, software engineers and architects, as well as external parties like technology vendors, wallet providers, merchants, issuers and senior product regional managers. You will discover opportunities, propose research opportunities, create research plan, execute and implement the ideas. During the course, you will publish influential research papers and patents.
You will be integral part of Visa Research team. You will have the opportunity and the responsibility to build the long-term vision for the payment industry and influence the direction of the research and development across Visa.
- Work with senior executives, scientists and architects to formalize a committee to oversee the development of the research projects
- Implement the solution with prototype and early product by collaborating with other scientists and engineers
- Work and partner with product delivery teams to fully implement the proof of concept and early product in Visa services and products
- Document project milestones by delivering regular reports
- Present and demo the prototypes to a committee on the regular basis
- Work with IP team to identify patentable ideas in the research, as well as publication opportunities
- Champaign the innovation across the organizations and industries as an expert in the subject, either by providing consulting or by contributing to technology talks and presentations
- Continue to learn the new payment technologies in Visa and across industries
- 2 years of industry work experience with an Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other technology field.
- Background in programming in Bitcoin, Ethereum, and/or other blockchain networks at any layer of the blockchain stack: Application, scripting/smart contract, consensus, and/or network
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other technology field
- Very strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise way; ability to influence and develop relationships with key partners
- Research experiences and capable of organizing a complex research project from inception to implementation
- Understanding of distributed/decentralized protocols, network security, and cryptography
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Extensive programming experience in at least one or more in Python, C/C++, Java, Rust, Go
- Results orientation with ability to plan the work and work in a team
- Fast learner in new technologies
- Experience in multidisciplinary research and development
- Experience in research and development of security models, secure system development and architecture
- Publications or presentation in recognized computing journals/conferences
- Payments industry experience
Austin, TX or Palo Alto, CA
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.