Sr. Project Manager
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
In this position you will work with technical staff, multiple business partners and senior management across organizational boundaries to obtain resources, schedule work activities and coordinate all areas to successfully complete project deliverables.
Senior Project Managers provide leadership and direction to cross-functional teams to deliver IT solutions for complex, large-scale, IT projects and are accountable for tasks covering the entire project and development life cycle.
- · Builds high performing teams, inspires team members, and demonstrates leadership skills
- Collaborates with business sponsors and technology subject matter experts to define scope and delivery strategy for domestic solutions
- Leads technical teams to assess requirements, create estimates, develop budgets, and produce Technology Project Charters and other documentation needed for funding approvals
- Perform project planning and scheduling, manage tasks and coordinate project resources to meet objectives and timelines
- Provide leadership to large, global, cross-functional teams to deliver solutions involving multiple teams and applications
- Anticipates change and identifies ways to overcome challenges and constraints to keep project activities on schedule to meet or exceed business partner expectations
- Takes initiative to exhaust all avenues to resolve issues/problems before involving management escalation
- Works with minimal direction; able to resolve most issues independently
- Provides clear, concise communications to project stakeholders; Summarizes relevant facts for senior management and delivers with executive demeanor
- Demonstrated ability to manage through influence
- Executes through ambiguity and guides path to clarity
- Set clear expectations with business partners to provide transparency into project initiation activities, and manage day-to-day interaction during project execution and delivery
- Proactively identify, manage and mitigate project risks and find ways to accomplish project goals in the context of dynamic business/technical environments
- Provide high quality customer service and communicate project status (timelines, progress, and challenges) to Technology and business stakeholders regularly
- Achieve project goals by engaging effectively with stakeholders at all management levels across Visa, including enterprise architects and strategists, technical subject matter experts, business partners, vendors, and Visa senior management
- Manage project budgets effectively by ensuring forecasts and actual charges are in line with approved bids and project expenses are effectively controlled
- Ensure that all projects are in compliance with Visa's Project Management Methodology and Key Controls
- Support PMO management with annual planning, program funding approvals, and program and project reporting functions
- 8 to 12 years of proven experience managing IT projects or related experience with demonstrated ability to perform project management responsibilities
- 2+ years of hands-on experience as a Scrum Master, Kanban, or Agile coach
- Support multiple teams through the software development life cycle using Agile, Scrum, and Lean practices and work cross-functionally throughout the company to ensure projects are developed and deployed with quality and timely delivery into our production systems.
- Knowledge of Network Processing core systems and demonstrated expertise in at least one application area; experience with Engineering teams is a plus
- Expert understanding of PPM policies and processes, and provides guidance to others
- Expert understanding of PPM tool set
- Card processing business acumen
- Strong process orientation; solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies and best practices
- Demonstrated organizational, planning and analytical skills, including project scheduling, estimating, risk identification, and change management
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles
- Independent judgment and mature decision making skills to deal with technology projects that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant cost and time-to-market impacts
- Ability to work independently, yet seamlessly integrate activities with other teams when needed
- Ability to influence without direct authority to achieve necessary goals
- Demonstrated knowledge of/experience with Visa business in core processing
- A BA/BS or equivalent work experience is required; concentration in Computer Science or a related technical discipline a plus
- Financial services and card payments experience
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- One or more Agile certifications: CSM, PMI ACP, ICAgile.
- PMP certification from PMI is a plus
A strong internal candidate is identified for this position
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.