Sr. Director, Payment Systems Risk - Data Product Development
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa is in search of the world’s most creative and experienced engineering leaders. We embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations.
Software Engineering Managers are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. They have also kept their coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment. We're looking for such a manager for a newly created software engineering team which will be part of a new team within Visa’s Data Product Development.
We looking for a Senior Director for this team to shape and push forward this vision, while focusing on the development of a state-of-the-art risk scoring, analytics & intelligence products, to serve the various networks.
Our development teams are tackling some of the most interesting problems in the blockchain space while rapidly and securely scaling a distributed platform that touches millions of people a day.
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Director are to provide hands-on technical leadership, guidance and mentoring to the engineering team, be a close collaborator and trusted advisor to the VP of Engineering, and ensure the delivery of high-quality, robust, and scalable solutions. This person will be a thought-leader, with real-world business common sense, and the ability to collaborate across functions.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of Software Engineering, experience with Big Data and analytics, building currency agnostic real-time systems; exceptional communication and negotiation skills, and extensive experience guiding software and quality engineers in the implementation of production quality solutions. Ultimately, they will be able to do whatever is required to make our engineering team a success.
- Be a hands-on, technical engineering manager. The expectation is that you will be
- leading by doing.
- Communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management
- Help recruit world-class engineers (front end, backend and quality) in Foster City
- Help identify, define and execute valuable engineering projects within Visa for Blockchain efforts.
- Work with Engineering leaders and others to ensure that your team delivers the maximum possible impact.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day work of your team members.
- Create an environment in which engineers can grow and do their best work.
- Work on the most interesting and challenging problems in the cryptocurrency space.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12+ years of Technology experience including, 3+ years of engineering management experience in a big data environment, 5+ years of software engineering work experience, including hands-on technical management, and 5+ years coding in one of the following languages: Java, C, C++, Go, Scala, Python or Rust
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers
- Experience with Big data technologies including: Hadoop, Hive, Apache Spark, Apache Flink, Apache Kafka Parquet, ORC; Avro, and Presto, Apache Drill
- Experience with NoSQL datastores including Cassandra, Yugabyte, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
- Experience with In-memory databases including Redis, Aerospike, RocksDB
- Experience with AI: Machine Learning and/or Deep Learning
- Experience with Information Security
- Experience working with geographically-distributed technology teams
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.