Systems Administrator - Unix
- Ashburn, VA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Position Summary: The Systems Administrator is responsible for providing systems support across, in particular the Visa corporate systems environment. This position requires applying root cause operation break fixes and other proactive maintenance activities to keep the services up and running. This is a professional level position and requires strong execution and analytical abilities. This role works independently and receives minimal guidance. This position is expected to interact with Systems, Database, Engineering, Asset Management, Product Development, Operations, Audit and Risk, and various groups within Technology. This role must have strong communication and analytical skills.
• Responsible for the ongoing maintenance, security, and availability of Systems infrastructure based on business requirements and adhering to tight operations, security, and procedural models
• Demonstrate a high level of technical expertise to support complex Unix Systems across all tiers, under minimal supervision
• Operate in complex, highly-secure, highly-available, operations-centric datacenter environments and interact with other technology domain experts as required
• This position requires a candidate with strong hands on technical Administrator professional with business acumen
• Work with other Disciplines to develop Infrastructure Building Blocks based Reference Architectures and standards that can be offered as services to our customers
• This position requires a dynamic, hard-working and ambitious individual, with excellent oral and written communication skills
• Candidates will possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills and have experience working in large enterprise operational environments
• Assist in change management processes
• Improve the efficiency and help standardize current processes
• Respond to and resolve incident and problem tickets
• Document and thoroughly understand the application architecture, system configuration across platforms and interface with various systems and use this knowledge effectively to resolve issues
• Work closely with customer support team to communicate the root cause of the outage, duration and recommendations or steps to resolve issues
• Participate in Service Improvement Meetings after an application outage
• Respond to general inquiries
• Document the incident in the tracking tool
• Vendor contact for routine, documented incidents as well as operational problems
• Provide assistance as required in analyzing the trends and suggesting long-term and short-term improvements
• Resolve incidents and problems in accordance within defined guidelines and meet operational level agreements
• Implement change requests and meet project deliverables within defined guidelines
• Achieve and understand Service Level commitments for all open systems platform
• Position will require shift based work hours. Including, but not limited to, weekend and after hour shifts.
• Provide automation solutions of manual tasks performed by infrastructure support.
• Develop solutions using available tools and technologies and assist the global team in problem resolution by hands-on participation.
• Support the development and incorporation of best practices and approaches into the company´s processes and methodologies.
• Will work closely with areas across Visa including, Operations, Engineering, Service Product office, and Global Open System Development Lines
• The candidate will be heavily involved in ensuring team meets all SLA's and team objectives.
• Lead and participate in the determination of root causes for service failure and support escalation, using knowledge and experience of VMWare ESX vSphere, UCS, Hadoop, Server, Blade technology (Cisco/HP/IBM), IBM VIO, CentOS, Linux, GPFS & AIX
• 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
• 3 or more years of work experience or more than 2 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
• Experience working in large, complex, enterprise in data center environments
• Must have 3+ Years of Unix Systems Administration experience
• Must have scripting experience on UNIX/Linux/VMWare, with one of below:
o Shell, Perl, Python & Power CLI.
• Must have Ansible or BladeLogic experience
• Experience in Redundant technologies, Fault tolerance and storage technologies is required
• Experience in system monitoring tools and performance analysis tools is required
• Experience working in large, complex, enterprise datacenter environments
• Ability to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of Unix Infrastructure
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong inter-personal skills
• Able to multi-task in order to meet goal of low MTTR (mean time to repair)
• Strong ability to self-learn new Unix technologies
• Unix and ITIL related certifications are preferred
• Experience in supporting virtualization technologies such as VMWare ESX or IBM VIO
• Experience in supporting shared infrastructure i.e. HP / Dell / Cisco Blade (UCS) Infrastructure (Cisco, EMC, VMWare), IBM Power Systems
• Application development experience is also a plus
• Individual should be self-motivated with the ability to work independently
• Sound planning, organizational and problem solving skills
• Candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical customers
• Strong project, organizational, presentation, and writing skills
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among concurrent projects
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position does not require the incumbent to travel.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.