Software Test Engineer - Level 3
- Reading, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
The position is for an experienced Software Test Engineer within the European Network Processing Product Development team located in Reading, Berkshire.The successful applicant will be involved in the testing of the business critical application releases from test preparation & execution to investigation and resolution of issues relating to these processes.
It is expected that the successful applicant will also contribute to the continuous improvement of the QA process & assist with our automation strategy to increase our testing efficiency & decrease the time to market for change. Reporting to the NP PDTE CAS Test Manager, this is very much a ‘hands on’ role to test changes to Visa’s applications.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- To prepare & execute test cases that will effectively test the changes to Visa’s applications & ensure that existing functionality is not inadvertently impacted
- Document all work undertaken in accordance with agreed standards & record test results to an auditable standard.
- Build and maintain relationships within the team to ensure cohesive and efficient delivery
- Ensure conformance to the SDLC methodology and quality standards developed by the Network Processing Product Development & Test Engineering Team
- Determine the scope of testing via requirement documents and discussion with relevant parties both internally and externally
- Engage effectively with all stakeholders on scope, impact, test schedules and delivery aspects.
- Use experience to highlight potential anomalies, provide estimates of the work involved and identify risks and issues.
- Analyse and troubleshoot the Clearing & Settlement application to identify unexpected behaviour.
- Automate tests wherever possible to increase efficiency unitising the automated framework in place
- Continue to recognise, highlight & suggest solutions for improvements to the QA process
- Report status of own work against agreed schedules. Self-manage challenging timescales to complete testing to scheduled milestone dates.
What we’re after…
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Experience using IBM Mainframe (TSO, ISPF)
- Cobol programming knowledge
- Experience with JCL & REXX
- Proven experience in testing complex financial mainframe systems
- Ability to work effectively on multiple concurrent assignments with both technical and business staff.
- Flexibility, self-motivated, high work ethic, attention to detail, ability to perform as an individual contributor or as a member of a team
- Experience with structured & object-oriented analysis
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, self-motivated person with a high work ethic & attention to detail
- Experience of working in both Waterfall & Agile methodologies
- Able to work under own initiative with limited guidance from their manager
- Able to provide accurate and timely management information to project managers and all other interested parties
- Business knowledge of Bank Card Processing principles
- Demonstrate some coding ability using a recognised industry standard language
- Experience in Continuous Integration and Automation including scripting
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.