Security Research Engineer
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Security Research Engineer, you will discover, lead and manage a variety of research projects in the Visa research group. In this role, you will drive innovations by introducing technologies, methods, and solutions to deliver innovative products.
You will, in many cases, interact with different stake holders, senior executives, research scientists, software engineers and architects, as well as external parties like technology vendors, wallet providers, merchants, issuers and senior product regional managers. You will discover opportunities, propose research opportunities, create research plan, execute and implement the ideas. During the course, you will publish influential research papers and patents.
You will be integral part of Visa Research team. You will have the opportunity and the responsibility to build the long-term vision for the payment industry and influence the direction of the research and development across Visa.
- Formulate business problems as research opportunity while ensuring key business drivers are captured in collaboration with stakeholders
- Create a concrete research proposal including problem statement, benefit of the research and plan for the fast iterations
- Work with senior executives, scientists and architects to formalize a committee to oversee the proposed research
- Implement the solution with prototype and early product by collaborating with other scientists and engineers
- Work and partner with product delivery teams to fully implement the proof of concept and early product in Visa services and products
- Document the milestones of research by delivering research reports
- Present and demo the research to a committee on the regular basis
- Work with IP team to identify patentable ideas in the research, as well as publication opportunities
- Champaign the innovation across the organizations and industries as an expert in the subject, either by providing consulting or by contributing to technology talks and presentations
- Continue to learn the new payment technologies in Visa and across industries
- Master's Degree with Thesis or PhD in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or other technology field
- Very strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear and concise way; ability to influence and develop relationships with key partners
- Strong research experiences and capable of organizing a complex research project from inception to implementation
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Extensive programming experiences in C, C++ and Python
- Strong skills in high performance computing, including
- familiar with SSE/Vector instructions
- familiar with parallel computing (such as locks, futures and queues)
- understand the memory and cache locality and memory access patterns
- proficient with debugging, profiling and optimizing
- Strong knowledge of Linux kernel internals
- Understanding of sandboxing, process-level isolation, virtual-machine isolations and containers
- Knowledge of distributed computing, including IPC, Socket, asynchronous programming and debugging programs in a distributed environment
- Moderate level of security experience, including knowledge of secure and defensive programming; understand security models and able to decide the basic examples that satisfy the security model
- Moderate level of crypto experience, including knowledge of symmetric and asymmetric crypto algorithms, such as AES, SHA, RSA, EC, DH, PKI etc.
- Moderate experience with HSMs and/or with PKCS#11
- Results orientation with ability to plan the work and work in a team
- Fast learner in new technologies
- Experience with Rust programming language is a strong plus
- Experience in multidisciplinary research and development is a plus
- Experience in working on large scale of distributed and hybrid system, and/or large datasets is a plus
- Publications or presentation in recognized computing journals/conferences is a plus
- Payments industry experience is a plus
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.