Legal Counsel/Employment Law and Human Resources
- Foster City, CA, USA
Visa operates the world's largest retail electronic payments network and is one of the most recognized global financial services brands. Visa facilitates global commerce through the transfer of value and information among financial institutions, merchants, consumers, businesses and government entities.
We offer a range of branded payment product platforms, which our financial institution clients use to develop and offer credit, charge, deferred debit, prepaid and cash access programs to cardholders. Visa's card platforms provide consumers, businesses, merchants and government entities with a secure, convenient and reliable way to pay and be paid in 170 countries and territories.
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Legal Counsel/ Employment Law and Human Resources
This position will report to the SVP, Chief Counsel, Employment and Corporate Responsibility Law and be responsible for providing advice to Human Resources (HR) and company managers in all areas of employment law, policy, development and training with internal and external stakeholders on a global basis. The attorney functions as a key strategic advisor to HR and serves as a critical link between the business functions. The attorney identifies and implements standard methodologies for improving compliance with domestic and international employment law. This person will also assist with the provision of legal support to the Visa Foundation as well as Financial Inclusion and Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and partner with all stakeholders to develop and implement strategies, policies, and procedures to align with emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
This position requires an excellent teammate who can work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment. Occasional travel will be required.
- Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including hiring, discipline, terminations, pay and benefits.
- Review and provide mentorship on drafting and development of Human Resources policies and procedures domestically and internationally.
- Counsels HR, local management and supervisors on handling employee relations matters, including employee counseling, discipline and benefits issues.
- Lead or provide advice and mentorship on internal investigations.
- Recommends and helps implement appropriate actions.
- Defend employment related claims, including leading outside counsel in litigation globally, responding to administrative claims from governmental agencies and settlement demands.
- Negotiate resolution of claims.
- Assist employment law team in developing, implementing, improving and reviewing legal compliance projects and training.
- Prepares, directs and conducts training programs on employee relations matters; for example, employment law updates, discipline, investigative techniques and documentation preparation.
- Review and provides input on policies, procedures and specific cases which are impacted by legislation such as FMLA, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, ERISA, state Worker’s Compensation and Employment discrimination laws.
- Assist with matters related to Corporate Responsibility and Foundation efforts, including negotiating, reviewing, and preparing provisions of grant letters and other grant-related documents and conducting trainings on applicable laws and foundation policies.
- Negotiate, review, and prepare contractual arrangements with outside service providers, including administrative and programmatic consultants and vendors.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Current member in good standing of the California bar.
- Shown Corporate employment law experience, both counseling and litigation. In-house and/or international experience strongly preferred.
- You possess extraordinary analytical ability and advocacy skills; excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills; and the ability to drive execution in a team environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in all interactions with senior management, corporate departments and all levels of employees.
- Developed business insight, with ability to understand the company's business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.