Sr. Director/Head of Product Development - Real Time Payments - Level 6
- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Sr. Director, Product Development, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Real-time payments (RTP) is a new strategic initiative at Visa, focused on building the next generation payment network connecting, individuals and businesses with banks, fin-tech players, countries and regions with the flexibility to use a variety of payment instruments.
Part of the broader technology organization, the product development team for RTP is undergoing a major ramp-up, looking to hire the best and brightest technologists with ambition and drive to build the next generation of payment solutions that would further extend the reach and scale of Visa’s payment network. This is once in a lifetime opportunity to join a start-up like opportunity within a globally respected company and if you feel excited about pioneering and leading the revolution- come join us!
The Senior Director, Product Development, is a key leadership position within the technology organization, responsible for building a world class engineering team, equipping them with the right set of DevOps tools and processes and then using the whole engine to design and build products and platforms for scale and resiliency.
The position requires an experienced technology professional with the right mix of technical and organization experience and skills, an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical, outstanding verbal and written communication skills and a high level of energy and flexibility to get things done.
You will be first and foremost an engineering leader with a passion for software development and someone who embodies Visa’s leadership principles of leading by example, communicating openly, enabling and inspiring others, exceling with partners, acting decisively, and collaborating effectively.
Based in London, this person will manage a team of engineers and architects who will work closely with the product and business partners, design solutions for specific client use cases while making longer-term architecture and design choices that will guide the eventual delivery of these products and platforms.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Work as co-located partners for the product organization in defining and shaping Visa’s technology strategy and solutions for the RTP space
- Operate as a key partner and proxy for the VP running the product development organization by simultaneously managing multiple dimensions such as organizational, resource ramp-up, process and tools, executive status reporting etc.
- Be accountable for implementing highly scalable, low-latency, high-throughput systems that have five 9 availability
- Drives the design for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing key modules).
- Establishes software development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code.
- Ensures that all relevant engineering teams follow a common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries.
- Provides leadership across the engineering community to ensure solutions are built in alignment with platform principles and standards.
- Mentors and builds world-class high-performing engineering teams.
- Applies architecture best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develops architectures that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influences technology selection for the enterprise.
- Defines deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organization.
- Optimizes use of Visa’s Platforms & Solutions.
- Demonstrates thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
What we’re after…
- Extensive relevant work experience in large scale software development with increasing responsibility either in the role of engineering leadership or architecture
- Mid-level technical leadership experience ideally from a software development or architecture background
- Prior experience in payment domain is a preferred
- Prior experience in Real-Time Payments space is a huge plus
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a complex organization where the ability to discover and internalize diverse stakeholder goals is critical to brokering solutions that are in the best interest of Visa as a whole.
- Independent judgement and mature decision-making skills to deal with programs that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant financial and compliance impacts.
- Experience in hiring, training, mentoring and managing a project team of 10 or more members.
- Exceptional knowledge of Agile/Scrum/Lean principles and practices.
- Solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies, and best practices.
- Excellent ability to understand architectural and technical aspects of projects.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally as needed to support the strategic goals.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline required; advanced degree is a plus.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.