Senior Staff Java Software Engineer- Payments / Funds Transfer
- Austin, TX, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
What's the job? As part of the Network Processing Product Development organization, you will be responsible for system development, implementation, maintenance and support of Visa's Clearing and Settlement systems, which clear, settle, and deliver transactions to issuer and acquirer financial institutions globally. Through this challenging job, you will gain experience collaborating with various parts of the business in understanding requirements for system enhancements, identifying areas of improvement and implementing changes to the system where it is needed. The product that you oversee will be of the highest quality meeting all requirements within the scheduled timeframe.
Who are we looking for? You! We are looking for a Senior Lead Engineer with application design and development experience who will take ownership and/or lead the engineering responsibility for multiple components in a project. You are a great teammate, making sure that everyone on your team feels valued and is excited to work with you. Location, time pressure, distractions, none of it matters: no matter the environment, you know you can code and build amazing, high-performing, and bug-free products.
Experience in Java, Spring, SQL and Linux is necessary. You lead and encourage others to take risks, be bold, and innovate in order to create exceptional products that are both seamless for our clients and consumer facing. No matter the challenge, you know you can find a solution and encourage others to think the same. You recognize when to ask for help and when to collaborate with others, working across departments and influencing in areas beyond immediate control. Above all, you are someone who takes initiative and thinks like an owner - you've defined your everywhere and lead others to find theirs all while launching Visa ahead of the game.
Why us? Working at Visa is challenging. The problems that we face and solve and the decisions that we make affect the world. Visa is all about helping people around the world reach their Everywhere, the place where their personal, professional and financial goals intersect. As the premier payments technology company, we're proud to boast that our commerce platforms touch the lives of billions, all over the globe. If you have ambition, focus and drive, and are interested in joining a global team focused on changing the way the world pays and is paid, you'll find your everywhere at Visa.
- Take complete end-to-end technical & engineering ownership of one or more applications
- Be at the forefront of translating complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Have significant influence on our strategy by helping define and build the next wave of product features and system architecture
- Coordinate engineering activities across the delivery of the project and work with engineers to ensure they are delivering quality and efficiently against project requirements.
- Partner with Architecture and Business teams to provide best in class solutions
- Champion Agile to inspire change and continuous improvement throughout the delivery process
- Take a hands on role in influencing and guiding day-to-day development activities by leading architecture decisions, participating in designs, design review, code review, and implementation
- Be the ambassador for engineering best practice across the development lifecycle and champion continuous improvement across the Centre
- Define solutions in terms of components, modules and algorithms
- Development and Implementation of the proposed solution
- Identify or develop software frameworks to be used
- Refactor existing solutions to make it reusable and scalable
- Leads and/or supports both product and technical discussions about how to apply existing and/or new technology in support of the business.
- Create design documents, code, unit/functional test, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Must be able to understand the positioning of a solution within the company and to build consensus to effectively gain buy-in from all participants.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards, processes and systems.
- Provide rotational on-call support as required.
- 12+ Years of application design and development experience in building highly scalable and highly available complex systems, preferably in payments or financial services industry.
- Be passionate about technology and solving large-scale complex business problems.
Be an established self-starter who possesses a relentless drive to initiate change, raise the technical bar and deliver results
- Understanding and working experience with Spring and Hibernate frameworks.
- Working experience with Soap and REST web services.
- Knowledge and working experience with messaging technologies like MQ, Kafka.
- Knowledge and working experience on Git/Stash, Ant, Maven, Jenkins and Jira.
- Experience on application development on Linux is required.
- Experience in applying modern Agile Software Development practices is required.
- Experience with database technologies like MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, MongoDB.
- Experience in MicroServices development is a plus.
- Experience building payment processing or funds transfer systems is a plus.
- Must be capable of translating architecture into a delivered solution that realizes the vision and purpose and effectively translate functional and non-functional requirements into an engineered solution.
- Should be able to lead the technical team in comfortably extending an existing solution, or conceiving a new solution and working with delivery to have the target state architecture realized.
- Provides direction for selecting appropriate engineering techniques to solve for non-functional requirements at the project level.
- Strong problem determination skills and ability to resolve critical issues for complex systems under tight timeframes using dumps and other tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi task and handle multiple competing priorities with minimal direction from management. Should possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of a technical infrastructure.
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent career experience is required.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.