Lead Technical Writer - Visa Resolve Online / Visa Conflict Resolution
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
As a Lead Technical Writer with TCS, you will work with technical experts across our global organization to document sophisticated payment technology systems, services, and applications. You will lead technical writers to navigate TCS’ documentation and editing services and to understand industry best practices. You will analyze, research, write, and edit technical content independently on technical documentation projects of varying size and complexity.
Lead Technical Writers possess a minimum of 12 years of technical writing or related experience. They demonstrate expert skills in document analysis, word processing and desktop publishing tools, project management, and independent interaction with IT development, IT quality, and product management groups.
- Lead a technical writing team working on a high-visibility Visa project (Visa Resolve Online/Visa Conflict Resolution), with at least two (2) major documentation releases a year, including several interim documentation releases as and when required by project stakeholders.
- Work independently to research subject matter, to obtain and exchange information.
- Proactively identify complex problems and use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Create and maintain project schedule(s).
- Represent the Visa Resolve Online (VROL)/Visa Conflict Resolution (VCR) writing team in planning and review meetings with project cross-functional stakeholders.
- Communicate VROL/VCR documentation status of project to team members, clients and departmental management.
- Initiate and lead problem identification, resolution, and prevention, escalating when needed.
- Multi-task and prioritize a large quantity of concurrent assignments.
- Author new documentation, such as: system and service guides; service descriptions; user, implementation, and web services guides; online help systems, etc.
- Work with complex graphics, tables, and examples.
- Perform peer reviews for readability and adherence to style and procedures guides.
- Manage and store master documentation files, complete quality artifacts, update metrics, and implement other processes as described in the department procedures guide.
- Adhere to confidentiality and intellectual property policies.
- Mentor and/or coach junior technical writers to develop a deeper understanding of the profession and of the department’s strategic initiatives.
- Maintain and enhance publishing tools, systems, and templates, or develop a strategic plan for implementing new tools and processes for delivery of high quality documentation.
- An undergraduate degree in Information Systems, English, Journalism, Communications, or related technology focused field.
- 12 or more years of technical writing or related experience.
- Strong knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the rules of composition and grammar.
- 5 or more years of experience leading a technical writing team, including contingent staff (as the need arises).
- Experience in planning for documentation product releases for both internal and external clients.
- Experience in managing interim documentation releases, as determined by client requirements.
- Expert in customer service, analytical, research, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Expert in writing technical documentation based on technical project artifacts and interactions with Subject Matter Experts, including system architects and senior software engineers.
- Expert in Visa Resolve Online (VROL) and Visa Conflict Resolution (VCR) systems analysis skills that are applied to documentation tasks.
- Broad experience collaborating with multicultural teams across the globe. Flexibility in schedule to work with colleagues and customers in different geographies.
- Experience in developing non-text information (illustrations, videos, and infographics) to enhance the user assistance experience. (preferred)
- Familiar with DITA-based authoring platforms, including XML editors, component content management system (CCMS) document repositories, online publication portals, and terminology management systems. (preferred)
- Familiar with XML documentation tools and profiling; XML editor (Oxygen Editor) and document repository (Documentum/SDL Tridion). (preferred)
- Familiar with project management tools (Microsoft Project). (preferred)
- Familiar with Web design tools (Wiki, SharePoint Designer). (preferred)
- Experience with translation processes and tools. (preferred)
- Knowledgeable in Visa applications, such as Visa Resolve Online (VROL) and Visa Conflict Resolution (VCR). (highly preferred).
Technical Communications Services (TCS) is responsible for most of Visa’s technical information serving both technology and business departments. With team members in California, Colorado, and Singapore, we support internal Visa teams and external Visa clients, delivering over 300 technical communications solutions each year including user guides, implementation guides, web services guides, online help systems, SharePoint solutions, operational and departmental procedures, release notes and developer Guides, API and SDK reference materials and system process flows.