Senior Director, Head of PMO-Payments
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Merchant & Acquirer Processing (MAPPD) is a globally-distributed division of over 900 team members within Visa’s Technology & Operations organization. We are the innovation engine behind the merchant solutions platforms, CyberSource and Authorize.Net.
The Senior Director, Head of PMO-Payments, is responsible for ensuring that MAPPD’s programs and projects are planned, managed, and governed in a consistent, transparent, and disciplined manner. The position requires an experienced program management professional with the right mix of relevant experience and skills, an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and a high level of energy and integrity to get things done in a fast-paced, team-oriented product development environment. S(he) will be a program management leader who embodies Visa’s leadership principles of leading by example, communicating openly, enabling and inspiring others, exceling with partners, acting decisively, and collaborating effectively.
In this role, s(he) will manage a team of Technical Program/Project Managers who use Agile Development Methods and the Scrum Framework to deliver critical, customer facing, enterprise software development payments projects to our production systems. S(he) will lead efforts to improve our processes, making our teams highly productive and also champion the adoption of engineering practices like Continuous Integration and Test Driven Development.
As the leader of the PMO, s(he) will foster collaboration across global business and technology organizations, providing sound analysis and change leadership. Building and maintaining strong internal customer relationships is essential as this position will work with Business Partners, internal staff and system integrators on a daily basis to ensure delivery of quality products in alignment with global initiatives and requirements across the enterprise
S(he) will be responsible for hiring top talent and keeping the organization highly engaged and motivated, delivering exceptional results. The ability to work across functions and teams will allow him/her to ensure alignment of priorities and goals, drive results and foster a culture and environment to achieve excellence and innovation.
- Provide leadership and oversight to a team of technical program/project managers who use agile practices and the scrum framework for the planning, execution and delivery of products.
- Work with Business Sponsors to develop project roadmaps that align with business objectives/priority and take into account resource availability.
- Overall responsibility for planning, executing, tracking and managing cost, schedule, and scope for all projects in the portfolio.
- Direct project portfolio activities, conduct reviews, and use strong technical and business acumen to manage risk and address escalated impediments.
- Enforce consistency and standardize processes across the team and the broader project management organization.
- Drive improvements in software development practices/processes within teams and across the organization.
- Drive the adoption of key engineering practices like Continuous Integration, Test Driven Development, etc. to improve quality and reliability of team’s deliverables.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring of local technology leaders on Agile/Scrum/Lean principles and practices.
- Manage HR and Performance management aspects of employees.
- Mentor and guide local managers through their career paths.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- 15+ years of relevant work experience in either Program, Project or Portfolio management.
- Previous experience in managing a large portfolio of projects (over $20 million).
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience ideally from a development or test engineering background.
- 10+ years of experience hiring, training, mentoring and managing a project team of 10 or more members.
- Exceptional knowledge of Agile/Scrum/Lean principles and practices.
- Solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies, and best practices.
- Excellent ability to understand architectural and technical aspects of projects.
- Strong knowledge of SDLC principles and practices.
- Deep experience in managing complex programs delivered by globally distributed teams.
- Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a complex organization where the ability to discover and internalize diverse stakeholder goals is critical to brokering solutions that are in the best interest of Visa as a whole.
- Independent judgment and mature decision making skills to deal with programs that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant financial and compliance impacts.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally as needed to support the strategic goals.:
- Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification is strongly preferred. PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP®), Certified ScrumMaster (CSM),Scaled Agile Framework Program Consultant (SAFe SPC), Certified Stanford Advanced Senior Program Manager (SAPM), and/or Lean Six Sigma certifications also preferred. Certifications must be current and in good standing.
- Strong knowledge of Rally and Jira planning tools.
- Experience working with offshore consulting firms on large scale and complex projects.
- Previous experience as a small business merchant and international work experience are a plus.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 20% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.