Staff Software Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
Visa operates the world's largest retail electronic payments network and is one of the most recognized global financial services brands. Visa facilitates global commerce through the transfer of value and information among financial institutions, merchants, consumers, businesses and government entities.
We offer a range of branded payment product platforms, which our financial institution clients use to develop and offer credit, charge, deferred debit, prepaid and cash access programs to cardholders. Visa's card platforms provide consumers, businesses, merchants and government entities with a secure, convenient and reliable way to pay and be paid in 170 countries and territories.
This position is ideal for an experienced SW engineer who is passionate about solving challenging business problems and building applications that provide an excellent user experience. You will be an integral part of the Commercial Data Services product development team focusing on design and build of software solutions that leverage data to solve business problems. The role is for a self-motivated individual with expert software engineering skills and solid expertise with Big Data systems integration and technologies. The candidate will be extensively involved in hands-on activities including POCs, design, documentation, development and test of new functionality. Candidate must be flexible and willing to switch tasks based on team's needs.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or
- 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or
- Full Stack Software Development experience in of large scale mission critical applications
- Demonstrated hands on experience building Big Data solutions. Expertise in Big Data technologies in Hadoop ecosystem
- Spark, MapReduce,Hive, HDFS, Yarn, Kafka, Pig, Oozie, HBase, etc.
- Experience with highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems working with one or more of the following technologies: Hadoop distributions, Storm and Spark streaming, Kafka, Spark advanced analytics, NoSQL data warehouses such as MongoDB Hbase, Cassandra, and data processing frameworks like Apache Nifi
- Hands on experience with Scala, Python, and Java etc.
- Understanding of Machine Learning libraries like Apache Mahout and Spark MLib
- Developing data-enabling software utilizing open source frameworks or projects such as Spring, Angular JS, SOLR, Drools, etc.
- Experience with n-tier web application development and experience in J2EE based frameworks
- Experience with Web Service development using REST, JSON, XML
- Experience with data visualization technologies like C3.js, D3.js
- Strong on elegant coding, can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly
- Leveraging DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation
- Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Chef, Teraform, Ruby, Git and Docker
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels
- Responsible for the architecture, design, development, implementation
- Lead the development of new products iteratively by building quick POCs and converting ideas into real products
- Design and develop mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance
- Design, code and integrate application business layer with external application components
- Interact with both business and technical stakeholders to deliver high quality products and services that meet business requirements and expectations while applying the latest available tools and technology
- Develop code and mentor junior developers to ensure deliverables are on time, within budget, and with good code quality
- Have a passion for delivering zero defect code and be responsible for insuring the team's deliverables meet or exceed the prescribed defect SLA
- Coordinate Continuous Integration activities, testing automation frameworks, and other related items in addition to contributing core product code
- Present technical solutions, capabilities, considerations, and features in business terms.
- Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.