Senior Director Purpose Communications
- San Francisco, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Visa recognizes that operating a successful company is about much more than delivering strong returns to shareholders. By harnessing our capital, our assets, our people, and our knowledge, Visa strives to make a positive, and ideally transformative impact on the world, based on the belief that doing well can and should mean doing good, particularly for a global organization like Visa whose mission is to empower individuals, businesses and economies to thrive through the power of digital payments.
To date, we have achieved significant progress – in 2017 alone, we empowered 100+ million net-new cardholders, educated millions of consumers through financial literacy programs, facilitated nearly $2M of employee charitable giving and 34,000+ volunteer hours, and announced a commitment to transition to 100% renewable electricity within two years. Visa consistently wins awards for its commitment to positive societal impact, including the Forbes/Just Capital list of Most Just Companies, Reputation Institute’s Global RepTrak100. And, in 2017, Visa was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, the FTSE4Good Index.
Visa’s Social Impact program aims to build on this legacy, and we are just getting started. As we continue to rapidly expand our team for this refreshed function, we are hiring a Senior Director of Purpose Communications, reporting to the Vice President of Global Reputation Management and Public Affairs, to build our storytelling strategy around Visa’s social impact and purpose-fueled mission to help us engage internal and external stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of public relations / communications experience
• You have 15-18 years of public relations/communications experience with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• OR: 12+ years of public relations/ communications experience with an advanced degree
• You have expertise developing globally-relevant integrated communications plans and programs in the Purpose space.
• You have prior experience applying best practices related to crisis preparation and response.
• Track record of successfully managing communications in highly matrixed organizations. Calm and cool under pressure, and has strong experience counseling executives and rallying teams.
• You have a solid understanding of how to use data and research to drive efforts.
• You have prior experience partnering with legal, government relations and public affairs partners.
• Demonstrated skills in outstanding media relations skills, with experience pitching and developing stories and cultivating media relationships over the long term.
• You are skilled at using social media / content creation to advance reputation goals and in response to crisis situations.
• You have a demonstrated track record developing and implementing compelling narratives to advance corporate reputation.
• Experience in partnership development for social purpose platforms
• Ability to communicate information effectively and accurately, verbally or in writing across multiple disciplines. Can synthesize large amounts of data and distill key points clearly, succinctly and quickly.
• You have a proven ability to think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative
• You are a strong self-starter. Able to work independently as needed
• You have a blend of agency and in-house experience
We seek to hire a team member who can partner across the Social Impact team, the Visa Foundation, Corporate Communications and Marketing to harness the power of integrated communications to tell Visa’s purpose story in ways that will impact our thought leadership agenda and support our brand ambitions.
The Senior Director of Purpose communications will be a skillful long-term strategist, capable of planning for the big picture as well as executing short-term campaigns. This team member will bring strong client management skills to be a strong partner to the Social Impact team, both through detail-focused planning as well as creative instincts. They will partner with internal colleagues and our agency to actualize the potential of Visa’s investment in social impact by building a strong narrative to link our core focus areas, our global sponsorships – such as the Olympics and FIFA – and our unwavering commitment to the highest environmental, social and governance standards.
The job requires an entrepreneurial spirit and is a wonderful opportunity for an experienced purpose communicator to build something new, leveraging Visa’s company-wide passion for purpose and significant resources devoted to this newly-refreshed function.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment (phones and computers), reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
- The incumbent may be required to travel domestically and internationally up to 15-20%.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.