Sr. Regional Privacy Counsel
- São Paulo, SP, br
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
About the Global Privacy Group
Visa’s growing Global Privacy Office within Visa’s Legal Department is Visa's central touchpoint for global data strategy, privacy compliance, and legal aspects of information security. Visa's global payments network connects thousands of banks and millions of merchants in over 200 countries and territories, with trillions of dollars of transactions passing over our network each year. Our goal is to enable data-centric business opportunities while protecting the Visa brand. To do this we engage with and provide privacy services to Visa business teams responsible for data analytics, direct-to-consumer digital services, business-to-business services, and support for loyalty programs and offers, among others. We operate Visa's global privacy program, advising Information Security, Human Resources, and other internal groups on privacy issues.
Reporting to Visa's Chief Privacy Officer and Visa’s Chief Counsel – Latin America and Caribbean region, you will have opportunities to be involved in all aspects of the company's global privacy program and strategy. You will support the Chief Privacy Officer in establishing programs and addressing policy and compliance issues to achieve an appropriate level of compliance with data protection laws in the Latin America and Caribbean region. The position will be based in São Paulo or Miami. Activities include:
· Conducting privacy impact assessments,
· Evaluating the impact of contractual and regulatory privacy and security requirements on business practices,
· Analyzing the privacy and security implications of new products and services and offering guidance on ways to minimize privacy compliance risks,
· Advising teams on privacy-by-design and privacy engineering
· Counseling Human Resources on employee privacy issues
· Drafting privacy notices,
· Documenting consent processes,
· Authorizing trans-border data flows,
· Assisting with privacy and security training for Visa’s workforce,
· Assisting with incident response, including security breach notifications,
· Monitoring for legal developments, such as new laws or regulatory guidance, and providing analysis of same as needed to the business units,
· Coordinating with Visa’s policy teams to draft position papers and related materials
· Engaging with global policy makers and regulators
· Representing Visa externally, at conferences and in industry groups, and
· Supporting business unit attorneys with respect to privacy issues in contract negotiations and client relationships.
· Train colleagues in key parts of the company on privacy laws and other factors that define Visa's rights and responsibilities with regard to data
• Juris Doctor degree or equivalent with strong academic credentials
• Admission to practice law in Brazil or at least one U.S. jurisdiction
• 10+ years of combined major international law firm and in-house practice with at least 5 years of in-depth experience with multiple privacy laws, including GDPR/EU Data Protection Directive or other international privacy/data protection and multi-jurisdictional regulations and requirements
First class written and verbal communication skills in Spanish, Portuguese, and English, including ability to write internal and external communications and lead or participate in presentations in all three languages.
• Strong understanding of IT, web technologies (especially those used in the collection, storage and analysis of data), mobile and connected devices
• Experience providing practical advice to clients on data use and privacy issues
• Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to interact well and build excellent working relationships with all levels of management
• A high level of self-motivation, initiative, and ability to operate effectively as a team player across different business units; and
• A passion to engage deeply with complex data use and privacy issues
The ideal candidate would also have:
• Understanding of online advertising, including underlying tracking technologies
• Understanding of cybersecurity and network monitoring and security
• Understanding of management of personal data in the HR context
• Privacy program management experience
• Experience in the payments industry
• One or more CIPP certification(s)
• Experience in drafting privacy policies and notices
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.