Chief Network Engineer
- Ashburn, VA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
In the Chief Network WAN Engineer role (within the Global Network Engineering, WAN team within Visa’s Global Infrastructure Network Services organization), you will provide senior technical expertise and leadership to help drive the strategic goals of the company’s data communications network infrastructure. This is a critical role within Visa’s network organization responsible for the planning, architecture design, development, and maintenance of existing/future networks to deliver best-in-class network performance, availability and resource utilization, leveraging state-of-the-art networking technologies including virtualization and software-defined networking (SDN). The successful candidate will work with various leaders across the enterprise to coordinate network solutions to meet challenges of technology, regulatory, security, and competitive conditions.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior technology leader to make key contributions to Visa’s strategic vision for the evolution and transformation of the company’s global WAN utilizing next-generation technologies.
The successful candidate will provide senior technical leadership in several WAN engineering areas of expertise (WAN BB, Internet, peering, corporate WAN, SD-WAN & cloud), and will develop and execute new initiatives to drive growth, reduce cost, increase reliability and increase global synergy for Visa’s networks. (S)/He will work collaboratively with other functional and technology areas of Visa and senior leaders in various global markets to define and execute business priorities.
The successful candidate will have responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
- Network WAN engineering, strategy and roadmap
- Innovation and emerging technologies
- Proof-of-Concept projects, lab trials, vendor/technology evaluation
- Customer/partner engagements
- Root cause problem analysis
More specifically, the primary responsibilities include the following:
- Lead the development of network evolution use cases and long-term WAN engineering scenarios in collaboration with stakeholders, partners and customers
- Drive implementation of proof-of-concept projects and lab trials from concept to delivery with a focus on new technologies, particularly virtualization & software-defined networks (SDN)
- Develop network evolution roadmaps. Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with partners and customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally
- Mentor/manage and motivate high-performing network architects and technologists and set clear priorities to achieve department goals
- Manage oversight of multiple highly complex technology solutions based on a combination of vendors, custom solutions, and internal resources
- Decision making authority is broad and can have significant material impact on cost, business planning and success of Visa's core business
- Collaborate with other network engineering teams, network architecture and network/security operations teams. Make recommendations on next-generation capabilities to support new business opportunities
- Ensure that Information Security and risk management are embedded within the culture requiring continuous improvement to a complex set of functions to coordinate security and compliance risks related to information systems and assets. Drive coordination, consensus and execution to mitigate cyber risk issues and emerging threats in such a dynamic environment
- Determine need and make recommendations for new WAN technologies and vendor solutions based on Visa’s network vision and strategy, leveraging the latest developments in the industry
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in data network design, configuration, administration, maintenance and/or support
- Analyze network from a cost, capacity, and forecast perspective, and evaluate new network technologies and applications
- Develop strategic roadmaps to ensure network operations goals are met
- Work closely with other departments to proactively ensure the network is capable of handling emerging or future business requirements
- Comfort in working through corporate culture with purpose and energy to promote unified approach
- Establish standards and governance in future acquisitions to mitigate risk and maximize network stability
- Plan, design, implement, and provide ongoing support of network systems of high complexity in Internet environments to fulfill business needs for performance and cost benefits
- Provide 3rd level technical support to Visa clients and to technical teams within Visa to resolve network issues and to support the implementation of new network solutions
- Provide highest level of technical consultancy to ensure problem resolution is achieved in the shortest possible timeframe
Ideally, you wll be a senior technology leader with substantial experience in network architecture, engineering, design, and exceptional technology leadership skills, and have relevant experience within a large, complex managed technology services organization.
The following qualifications are required for the role:
Prior experience in next-generation network/product architecture/engineering design for large-scale network deployments for high-volume, high-availability consumer-facing and B2B network interactions
Experience working with highly-effective engineering teams through major technology transitions
Prior experience in driving and leading enterprise technology and cultural transformation programs
Demonstrated networking technical knowledge with a solid understanding of leading commercial vendor portfolios, Open Source technology including networking solutions for OpenStack and the software-defined networking ecosystem
Prior experience in a dedicated role around defining network strategy
Demonstrated consistent and steady growth in career
Prior experience in non-Cisco networking technologies
Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out WAN technologies
Extensive experience and expertise on IP routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP, ISIS, & EIGRP
Expert engineering knowledge of load balancing / traffic management technology including F5 Big-IP/Viprion for LTM/GTM
Expert engineering knowledge of WAN optimization technology, including Riverbed Steelhead, to optimize application traffic across the WAN links
Experience in managing cost-reduction programs
Great communicator and able to drive consensus across diverse/global technology teams
Must have strong and pragmatic views about open standards and with supporting evidence
Track record in developing next-generation leaders
Demonstrated successful experience with metrics/KPI-based deliverables with accountability
Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field
Nice to have:
- ITIL Certification
- Master’s degree, preferably in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or Information Security
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Network Security experience
The role can be based in Foster City (CA) or Ashburn (VA).
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.