Director of Admissions
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
The Director of Admissions leads and manages the Office of Admissions, including high school relations, transfer recruitment and services, international recruitment, inquiries, and admissions operations. The Director of Admissions is responsible for the development, design, and implementation of recruitment efforts to support the University’s recruitment goals for new undergraduate and graduate students as well as the establishment of a diverse and highly qualified student body.
- Provide leadership, management, and support for the Admissions & Inquiries team
- Develop and implement data-driven marketing and recruitment strategies to achieve enrollment goals for undergraduate and graduate students (including transfer, domestic, and international markets) by effectively utilizing data from a variety of sources to evaluate student characteristics and trends, as well as the University’s market position and competition
- Develop an inquiry pool through the use of student search services, university outreach (college fairs, high school visits, etc.), high school and community college relations, campus visits and open houses, internet and emerging technology, publications, and correspondence
- Develop positive and strategic relationships with internal and external constituents
- Administer the University’s prospective and admitted student database and ensure that the integrity of the systems and data are maintained and that the systems are utilized productively in support of admissions and recruitment functions
- Ensure the efficient processing of admissions applications by developing and administering policies, procedures, and systems that provide quality admission services to prospective students
- Act as the senior advisor to the Director of Enrollment regarding admissions matters
- Coordinate effectively with other departments such as Student Experience, Registrar, Financial Aid, Marketing, and Career Services to achieve enrollment goals
- Facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university is required; Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- 8-10 years of previous experience working in higher education admissions, with at least three years of experience managing and leading an Admissions team
- Prior experience as a Designated School Official (DSO) strongly preferred
- Proven ability to design, manage, and implement University student recruitment programs
- Knowledge of F-1 regulations, immigration, legal issues, change of status, SEVIS (SEVP) database preferred
- Strong knowledge of higher education admissions strategies and recruitment efforts, financial aid, scholarships, and programs
- High level of cultural awareness and emotional intelligence
- Ability to handle and diffuse tense situations while maintaining positive customer service
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and treat confidential matters with tact and discretion
- Proficiency in MS Office applications as well as CRM systems for inquiry management
- Excellent oral and written English communication, including strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, including strong customer service and listening skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work with a highly diverse staff and student body and to communicate effectively with those of a different background with tact, diplomacy, and discretion
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to carry out projects with minimal supervision
- Strong work ethic with the ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-oriented, and dynamic work environment
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
NOTE: Candidates selected for a phone screen or an interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry