Student Accounts Officer (Accounts Receivable)
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Virginia International University is seeking an independent and responsible Student Accounts Officer to act as the primary point of contact for students, parents, university personnel, and other involved parties concerning registration, payment, and billing and collection policies and procedures related to student account transactions. The Student Accounts Officer is responsible for ensuring that reconciliations, billings, and collections in the Student Accounts Office are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintain all financial files in the Student Accounts office and verify that they comply with financial policies and procedures
- Follow all proper procedures and internal controls pertaining to Student Account office functions
- Process all banking transactions for the University community
- Provide exceptional customer service to all constituents of the University in banking, billing, collections, and loans
- Track payment plans and process student refunds
- Receive and verify expenditure requests and invoices
- Keep the deferred account list current
- Record deposits and enter for payment in CAMS
- Assist with account placement to internal and external collection agencies
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of all financial files for audit
- Assist with other accounting tasks, as requested
- High School Diploma required, Associate’s Degree or higher preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in accounts receivable and/or general accounting, experience in a Student Accounts/Bursar office preferred
- Experience with spreadsheets and accounting software (Great Plains preferred)
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, particularly accounts receivable, and general bookkeeping procedures
- Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and treat confidential matters with tact and discretion
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office Suite products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; including excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to work with a highly diverse staff, faculty, and student body
- Ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-oriented, and dynamic work environment
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize, and carry out projects through to completion with minimal supervision
What You’ll Get:
At VIU, we understand the value of our most important asset – the employee. We strive to promote a balance between work and family, and we offer a comprehensive benefit package to sustain and enhance the employee's quality of life.
We offer medical and prescription drug coverage, dental and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, a great 401(k) plan, a generous leave program, and much more!
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
Candidates selected for a phone screen or an in-person interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry.