International Student Advisor / DSO
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Virginia International University is seeking an experienced and dedicated International Student Advisor/DSO to serve the needs of a growing population of international undergraduate and graduate students. This position serves as VIU's Designated School Official (DSO) for the F visa programs for SEVIS and other reporting.
The International Student Advisor serves as the primary immigration advisor for prospective and current international students, scholars, and visitors at the University. The International Student Advisor leads the student immigration process and will assist with issues regarding students’ overall adjustment to the university, the local culture, and the required process for their initial immigration status. The International Student Advisor serves as the liaison between the University, the U.S. Bureau on Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the State Department as well as various relationships with faculty and staff on campus to assist students with their overall experience at VIU.
- Serve as a Designated School Officer (DSO) and maintain the F-1 programs as defined by policies and procedures of VIU, the U.S. Department of State, USCIS, and SEVIS, ensuring University compliance with all regulations
- Perform administrative, technical, and compliance responsibilities in SEVIS and in University data systems
- Coordinate efforts to streamline the SEVIS system and immigration advisement process for the University
- Issue all immigration documents for students attending VIU and ensure that all students are properly and accurately advised of various compliance issues during their stay in the United States
- Responsible for ongoing advisement and support of international students through all phases of the international education process including pre-arrival, during the period of study, and through OPT/STEM OPT
- Advise international students on a broad range of complex issues including: change of visa status from one category to another; leave of absence; concurrent enrollment; change of academic program; extension of program of study; reinstatement applications for students who have fallen out of status; travel signatures for students planning to travel outside the U.S.; CPT and Academic Training; OPT; STEM; economic hardship work permissions; tax and employment issues
- Coordinate programming and workshops for the benefit of international students and the campus community
- Assist with other university programs, such as intercultural training, student activities, orientation programs for international students, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of immigration regulations and create, edit, and update online information and written publications to reflect current immigration regulations and University procedures
- Responsible for the generation of relevant reports and statistics that relate to the international population on campus
- Bachelor’s Degree and five years of experience advising international students on F-1 regulations in a university context
- Experience with coordinating and planning student events and programs preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and U.S. government regulations for student immigration, including but not limited to, requirements for legal status, government reporting, student employment, and internships
- Knowledge of current issues in higher education and international education and immigration as it impacts international students and scholars
- Effective problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Evidence of strong organizational abilities and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Exceptional attention to details and sound professional judgment
- Exceptional customer service skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to be diplomatic, composed, and proactive in varied interactions
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills with documented experience in public speaking and delivering presentations
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Experience with batch software, particularly Terra Dotta, preferred
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
What You’ll Get:
At Virginia International University, we understand the value of our most important asset – the employee. We strive to promote a balance between work and family, and we offer a comprehensive benefit package to sustain and enhance the employee's quality of life.
We offer medical and prescription drug coverage, dental and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, a great 401(k) plan, a generous leave program, and much more!
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
Candidates selected for a phone screen or an in-person interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry.