Student Accounts Officer (Accounts Receivable)
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Virginia International University is searching for a Student Accounts Officer to ensure that reconciliations, billings, and collections in the Student Accounts office are completed accurately and in a timely manner. The Student Accounts Officer acts as a central point of contact for campus constituents who seek resolution of general accounts receivable questions and needs for support.
What We Need:
Our team members are hardworking, smart, and most of all, fun. To be a part of our team, you have to be dedicated and passionate about higher education. We look for team members who:
- Are adaptable. We are a growing University wishing to both innovate and expand our programs. With innovation comes the need for flexibility and adaptability, so successful candidates will be those who are open and easily adaptable to new processes and procedures.
- Are lifelong learners. Working at a University means you are dedicated to our students and the education they receive, and we are dedicated to the education and resources YOU receive. We want someone who gets excited when a new challenge or project comes their way and is dedicated to professional development.
- Encourage and embrace diversity. We need staff members who can integrate themselves into many different cultures and who understand and embrace the differences in others. Our student body comes from all over the world, from many educational backgrounds, and with many different cultural and linguistic differences, so the ability to understand and adapt to many different cultures is a must.
- Know how to have fun. We work hard and we play hard. From potlucks to happy hours to potato sack races among VIU employees, you’ll be a part of a fun working environment that encourages laughter and enjoyment.
What You'll Do:
- Maintain all financial files in the Student Accounts office and verify that they comply with financial policies and procedures
- Follow all proper procedures and internal controls pertaining to Student Account office functions
- Process all banking transactions for the University’s community
- Provide customer service to all constituents of the University in banking, billing, collections, and loans
- Track payment plans and process student refunds
- Receive and verify expenditure requests and invoices
- Keep the deferred account list current
- Record deposits and enter for payment in CAMS
- Assist with account placement to internal and external collection agencies
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of all financial files for audit
- Perform general accounting and office duties
- Perform other job duties as assigned by supervisor
- Education: High School Diploma required, Associate’s Degree or higher preferred
- Experience: 1-2 years of experience in accounts receivable and/or general accounting, experience in a Student Accounts/Bursar office preferred
- Experience with spreadsheets and accounting software (Great Plains preferred)
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, particularly accounts receivable
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures
- Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and treat confidential matters with tact and discretion
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office Suite products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; including excellent public speaking skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work with a highly diverse staff, faculty, and student body
- Ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-oriented, and dynamic work environment
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize, and carry out projects through to completion with minimal supervision
What You’ll Get:
At VIU, we understand the value of our most important asset – the employee. We strive to promote a balance between work and family, and we offer a comprehensive benefit package to sustain and enhance the employee's quality of life.
We offer medical and prescription drug coverage, dental and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, a great 401(k) plan, a generous leave program, and much more!
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
Candidates selected for a phone screen or an in-person interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry.