Adjunct Faculty (Business) - part-time
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Virginia International University is in search of a variety of Adjunct Faculty for our Business department to include the following subjects:
- Project Management
- Public Administration & Policy
- International Relations
What We Need:
Our faculty members come from a very diverse range of backgrounds and specialties. To be a part of our team, you have to be dedicated and passionate about higher education. We look for faculty who:
- Are adaptable. We are a growing University in the midst of many changes. Many of our standard operating procedures are unique to VIU owing to our unique student body. We need faculty members who are open and easily adaptable to new processes and procedures.
- Are lifelong learners. Working at a University means you are dedicated to our students and the education they receive, and we are dedicated to the education and resources YOU receive. We want someone who gets excited when a new challenge or project comes their way and is dedicated to professional development.
- Encourage and embrace diversity. We need faculty members who have a passion for teaching in a multicultural environment and can embrace the differences in others. Our student body is as diverse as they come, so the ability to integrate yourself into many different cultures is a must.
- Are flexible. As a result of the high percentage of international students at our university, scheduling can change at a moment’s notice. We are seeking instructors who are flexible and can teach with short notice, handle changes to their course schedule, and are willing to take on low enrollment courses and/or independent studies.
- Have a desire to be part of a team. As a small university, VIU staff and faculty are basically family. All employees at the university must have a willingness to work collaboratively in a team environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate students in your field of expertise as specified in the schedule and course contract
- Evaluate and select text and instructional materials
- Develop and manage the class syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and attendance policies in line with those of the department
- Plan and create lectures, in-class discussions, and assignments
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Grade assigned papers, quizzes, and exams and assess grades for students based on participation, performance in class, assignments, and exams
- Use the University’s learning management system (Canvas) to post syllabus, assignments, and other materials and to communicate with students
- Stay updated on innovations and changes within field of expertise
- Teach online courses, as needed
- Provide quality education and service to diverse student body to meet the objectives of programs of study and prepare students to effectively participate in the global community and workforce
- Support relevant university initiatives
What You Need:
- Doctorate Degree in the field taught required
- Must have industry or teaching experience
- Experience with a learning management system required, Canvas preferred
- Experience teaching online and developing courses strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Current knowledge in your field
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to teach with ample real-world experience
- Ability to show confidence teaching and presenting to a class
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Passionate about academic field and education in general
- Ability to design and build online academic courses
- Understanding of the mechanics of online learning and effective teaching styles
- Ability to teach courses in area of expertise
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Ability to work with a highly diverse staff, faculty, and student body
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
NOTE: Candidates selected for a phone screen or an interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry