International Student Services Manager
- 4401 Village Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st Century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our Student body comes from over 50 different countries as of today.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.
Virginia International University is seeking an experienced and dedicated International Student Services Manager to oversee the International Student Services staff while creating, developing, and implementing policies and procedures for the University to maintain compliance with U.S. immigration regulations. This position serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) for the F visa programs for SEVIS and other reporting.
What We Need:
Our team members are hardworking, smart, and most of all, fun. To be a part of our team, you have to be dedicated and passionate about higher education. We look for team members who:
- Are innovative. We are a growing University in the midst of many changes. From small, departmental suggestions to large, university-wide goals, your voice will be heard and acknowledged. We need an innovative team member with ideas to help drive the success of VIU.
- Are lifelong learners. Working at a University means you are dedicated to our students and the education they receive, and we are dedicated to the education and resources YOU receive. We want someone who gets excited when a new challenge or project comes your way, and is dedicated to professional development.
- Encourage and embrace diversity. We need team members who can integrate themselves into many different cultures and who understand and embrace the differences in others. This makes us a better institution and a superb university-wide team.
- Know how to have fun. We work hard and we play hard. From potlucks to happy hours to potato sack races among VIU employees, you’ll be a part of a fun working environment that encourages laughter and enjoyment.
What You’ll Do:
- Maintain and manage SEVIS student records
- Advise students on student visa status and other related matters
- Advise international students on F-1 status, immigration policies and procedures, and other regulations for graduating and student employment
- Ensure institutional compliance in accordance with DHS, DOS, and SEVP governing of international student regulations
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) for the Institutions Exchange Visitor Program
[20%] OPT Application Process
- Represent the ISS Department and its staff at university-wide events
- Lead ongoing efforts to identify and implement best practices within the ISS Department
- Develop and maintain regular updates of the ISS Office handbook, which guides the ISS Office on policies and procedures
- Promote professional growth, teamwork, and strong ethics within the ISS Department and other student services departments
- Administer and support the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and evaluating processes of the ISS Department
[10%] Special Projects
- Assist various academic and administrative branches to develop specific internationalization strategies
- Provide training and educational opportunities for faculty, staff, and students for handling and understanding the proper policies and procedures outlined by US Immigration Services and the ISS Department
- Maintain F-1 visa related administrative work
- Generate I-20s
- Update student information in all VIU database systems and in the SEVIS database
- Educate students on the process of transferring to other institutions, reinstatement, and CPT and OPT; update the corresponding internal reports and systems, and collect all the necessary documentation
- Serve as the central point of contact between the ISS Department and other Departments within the University
- Help students and staff in person, over the phone, or by email with inquiries and matters related to the ISS Office, Registrar’s Office, and Admission’s Office
- Implement and assist with the articulation and maintenance of University policies and procedures related to the ISS Department
- Perform a wide range of managerial responsibilities across all operational areas within the ISS Department
- Issue official documentation to students relating to the ISS Office
- Research immigration regulations and implement them within the ISS Office
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
What You Need:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: At least four years of experience with immigration in an academic setting, including successful experience in SEVIS reporting and advising as a DSO
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Knowledge of F1 regulations, immigration, legal issues, change of status, SEVIS (SEVP) database
- Knowledge of Terra Dotta ISS software strongly preferred
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle and diffuse tense situations while keeping a positive attitude
- Ability to identify and anticipate needs of international students
- Goal-oriented leader with the ability to initiate action plans for change and improvement
- Capacity to work in a team environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and treat confidential matters with tact and discretion
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office Suite products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills, as well as a background in cross-cultural awareness
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with students and staff from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize, and carry out projects through to completion with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to excel in a demanding, outcome-oriented, and dynamic work environment
- Proficiency in at least one foreign language preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours at times preferred
What You’ll Get:
At Virginia International University, we understand the value of our most important asset – the employee. We strive to promote a balance between work and family, and we offer a comprehensive benefit package to sustain and enhance the employee's quality of life.
We offer medical and prescription drug coverage, dental and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, a great 401(k) plan, a generous leave program, and much more!
Think you have what it takes? Apply today!
Candidates selected for a phone screen or an in-person interview will be contacted. Please do not call to follow up on your application as we have a high volume of calls and will not be able to respond to every inquiry.