Material Handling Specialist
- 1 Swan Dr, Smyrna, TN 37167, USA
Vi-Jon is one of the nation's oldest brand and private label Health and Beauty Care companies, serving retailers in all 50 states and Canada. For over 100 years, the Vi-Jon name has come to represent some of the highest standards in the manufacturing of quality products in the Health and Beauty Care industry. The Vi-Jon corporate headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and we operate manufacturing and distribution centers in Missouri and Tennessee 24 hours a day.
Vi-Jon is a company of tradition and commitment to our associates and our customers, and our company culture reflects that. By joining Vi-Jon, you will become part of a team-oriented and entrepreneurial culture that allows associates to grow both personally and professionally. We recognize that a company is not a building, production line, equipment or products, but people. Our company is not made up of just people, but individuals who together make up a team - the Vi-Jon team
POSITION SUMMARY: Perform mechanical and automated program set up, routine preventive and corrective maintenance, adjustments, troubleshooting and repairs on palletizer, conveyor, and stretch wrapper equipment.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION:
- Behavior: Team player qualities of cooperation and coordination, professional interaction with all business contacts all day, every day.
- Attendance: Exceptional attendance is a mandatory requirement. Standard 8-hour shift which may include extra hours daily; Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays.
- Safety: Comply with all requirements of the safety program, including: hazard recognition, housekeeping, accident and near miss reporting, proper use of all safety equipment and procedures, adherence to all Safety Rules and your reporting of safety issues is mandatory.
- Set up and adjust equipment for various product pallet patterns. Including HMI/automated palletizer and conveyor system set up and operation.
- Identify alarm conditions and be able to effect timely analysis and corrective measures, including root cause analysis.
- Diagnose machine malfunctions and operating difficulties; make the necessary repairs and adjustments.
- Identify and research required repair parts and components.
- Knowledge of a CMMS, to include writing of work orders and ordering parts.
- Proactive in analyzing equipment performance, visually and audibly identifying premature component wear and inefficient equipment run state.
- Perform routine daily maintenance such as lubrication, changing belts/chains, and perform preventive maintenance.
- Process and store hazardous, flammable material in accordance with established local, state and federal guidelines.
- Have the ability to safely and effectively operate basic power hand tools.
- Must be able to diagnose basic electrical issues such as fuses, photoelectric eyes, drives, and motors. Mechanic must be able to change or repair these items.
- Proficient in hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical sytems. And possess the ability to troubleshoot and repair sub-components.
- Have the ability to operate independently and without additional mechanic support.
- Be proficient in the tasks as outlined in the SKILL LEVEL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Table.
Physical Activities: Walking, reaching, grasping, talking, hearing, standing, climbing, stooping, feeling, crawling.
Physical Demands: Requires lifting small parts weighing 25 to 60 lbs, a variety of physical movement necessary to repair and install machinery. Required to climb vertical ladders and work on catwalk conveyors at heights exceeding 20-feet.
Visual Acuity: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less with the ability to judge distance and space relationships. Ability to adjust eye to bring objects into sharp focus. Continuous mental and visual attention.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Worker is protected from weather conditions but not from temperature changes which may be sufficiently high or low to cause bodily discomfort. Worker exposed to sufficient noise level requiring hearing protection. Worker exposed to a variety of physical conditions such as moving mechanical parts, electrical current and high heat.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge: Basic math and reading skills. Ability to work from drawings, schedules, equipment manuals, and technical publications, equivalent to two years of trade school.
Experience: Requires a minimum of two years of similar maintenance/mechanical experience or two year trade school/Associate Degree in a related mechanical field.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids: Palletizer, conveyor systems, stretch wrappers, drill, grinder, and a variety of hand tools. Must qualify and operate fork lift, scissor lifts, and knuckleboom lifts.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: None identified.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. The tasks listed are commonly associated with the defined position and are not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
All activities, Demands, Conditions and Requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk which denotes linkage only to marginal function(s).
An essential element of the Vi-Jon culture is our commitment to diversity. Vi-Jon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants, and make all employment decisions, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the health and beauty care industry.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.