Chemical Operator - TN C Shift 10:45pm-7:00am
- 1 Swan Dr, Smyrna, TN 37167, USA
Vi-Jon is one of the nation’s oldest brand and private label Health and Beauty Care companies, serving retailers in all 50 states and Canada. For over 106 years, the Vi-Jon name has come to represent some of the highest standards in the manufacturing of quality products in the Health and Beauty Care industry. The Vi-Jon corporate headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and we operate manufacturing and distribution centers in Missouri and Tennessee 24 hours a day.
Vi-Jon is a company of tradition and commitment to our associates and our customers, and our company culture reflects that. By joining Vi-Jon, you will become part of a team-oriented and entrepreneurial culture that allows associates to grow both personally and professionally. We recognize that a company is not a building, production line, equipment or products, but people. Our company is not made up of just people, but individuals who together make up a team – the Vi-Jon team.
The Chemical Operator’s primary purpose is to provide, in a timely manner, finished formulas to be used on all packaging lines thru use of safe and efficient work practices.
Functions of the Job:
- Standing, walking, ascending and descending steps, handling bags/drums, making piping connections 65% of time on job.
- Ability to lift 50 lb. load continuously for 1 hour.
- Ability to follow requirements necessary to work in a wet, humid environment
- Ability to work in a dusty environment by wearing appropriate Protective Personal Equipment
- Ability to work with corrosive, caustic and acidic chemicals utilizing appropriate Protective Personal Equipment
Position Qualification Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required. Basic math skills.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers, including Windows and SAP preferred.
- At least two (2) years experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in a personal care or food related industry. Prior experience as a packaging technician preferred.
- Previous working knowledge of PLC (programmable logic control) system preferred.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids:
- Ability to handle all forms of electric pallet jacks and drum hoists
- Ability to connect/disconnect various forms of plumbing to the processing vessels to complete various raw material additions, including the combining of multiple sub-batches to complete a main batch
- Ability to connect/disconnect plumbing at the output of processing vessels to transfer the batches to storage vessels and at the output of storage vessels to transfer the batches to filling lines using custom wrenches of various sizes, including use of “pigs” to assist in the thorough transfer of complete batches with as little waste as possible
- Ability to connect/disconnect processing aids such as colloid mills to the output of processing vessels using custom wrenches of various sizes
- Ability to use various types of PPE (personal protective equipment) such as safety glasses/goggles, respirators, and harnesses depending upon the job requirements
- Ability to use an overhead hoist system to assist with addition of heavy drummed raw materials to batches or to pre-weigh raw materials for batches
- Exhibit team player qualities of cooperation and coordination; professional interaction in all business contacts, all day, every day
- Present for work when scheduled is a mandatory function. Work hours may extend beyond normal business hours based upon the workload of the department.
- Compliance to all company safety rules, procedures and guidelines is essential. Reporting of safety issues is mandatory.
- Weigh and make batches with various types of scales, processing vessels utilizing either manual control of mixer speeds, mix durations and heating/cooling or PLC controlled mixer speeds, mix durations and heating/cooling
- Transfer batches from various types of processing vessels to storage vessels utilizing either manual control of valves, plumbing and pump speeds or PLC controlled valves, plumbing and pump speeds
- Perform cleaning of processing vessels, storage vessels, and transfer plumbing either manually or with PLC controlled CIP (clean-in-place) system, including scheduled line circuit cleaning
- Perform various transactions in SAP to issue raw materials to batches and report finished batches for disposition by QC lab
- Provide the QC lab with batch samples as instructed by formula cards for quality disposition
- Perform daily general housekeeping and specific housekeeping as instructed by management occasionally
- Complete cleaning logs and batch records accurately and timely, as soon as task is performed
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment and processes as required by compounding area to ensure maximum filling up time
- Perform other duties as required
An essential element of the Vi-Jon culture is our commitment to diversity. Vi-Jon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants, and make all employment decisions, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the health and beauty care industry.