ICT Systems Engineer
- Norfolk Road, Harare, Zimbabwe
To modernize traditional African banking and provide world class, affordable transactional capacity to Sub-Saharan population by unlocking capability through proven agile technology and consultancy services for financial institutions.
To enable banks to provide their customers with innovative, agile and robust technology platforms. To assist in bridging the gap between legacy banking and the new Digital Africa. To understand the fundamental importance of the marriage between “technology” and “education and awareness”.
- Our People are our most important assets
- Can-do attitude
- Robust solutions
- Local presence
- Understand customer requirements
- Partnership and long-term relationship with customers
Reporting to the Head of ICT and working under the supervision of the Systems Team Leader, The Systems Engineer provides a key role supporting, maintaining, monitoring and troubleshooting Core Systems and Infrastructure.
As the Systems Engineer, your responsibilities include: -
1. Take a leading role in providing effective monitoring and maintenance of all ZSS Mission critical services and Infrastructure
2. Perform ‘business-as-usual’ tasks under the direction of the Systems Team Leader and Head of ICT Services
3. Commissioning, maintaining, patching and decommissioning IT Systems (including VM’s, Hardware and other supporting services).
4. Manage and monitor all Linux and Windows based systems and hardware infrastructure.
5. Plan, schedule and implement routine and emergency patching and upgrades to address known vulnerabilities or technical issues, including emergency patching where directed by the infosec team.
6. Participate in troubleshooting, support and take ownership of escalated issues
7. Undertake implementation of tasks and assignments as directed by the Head of ICT or Systems Team Leader.
8. Other duties may be required as directed by the Head of ICT or Systems Team Leader.
As a member of ICT Services, you will also undertake a range of analytical and technical tasks as a part of the team, including:
- Working with the Infosec team, guide and assist the team in the execution of effective monitoring for attacks, intrusions and unusual, unauthorised or illegal activity
- Playing a hands-on role in root-cause analysis (RCA) and problem resolution
- Working on escalated problems, incidents and requests assigned under the ITIL framework
- participating in the testing and evaluation of new products and emerging technologies
- provide input to the design of new systems or upgrade existing ones
- use advanced monitoring and analytic tools to identify, monitor and report on resource utilisation and capacity trends
- Identify operational threats to the infrastructure or infrastructure related services, and escalate these to the Systems Team Leader
Ideally, candidates should possess the following skills:
- 4 or more years’ experience in a 3rd line IT engineering role, including at least 1 year in a banking, financial services, insurance or an equivalent ‘blue-chip’ organisation.
- A strong interest in maintaining a broad technical skillset focussed around Windows, Linux and Enterprise level infrastructure, with particular emphasis on the current mix of technologies used at ZSS and its sister companies, such as:
- IT Services Management systems (operating to ITIL standards)
- Automation tools (Ansible, Puppet)
- Identity Providers and Federation platforms (Active Directory, OpenLDAP, SAML)
- Web Content Platforms (IIS, Apache, Tomcat)
- Monitoring Systems (Grafana, Nagios, Cloudwatch, OpenNMS)
- Ubuntu and Debian Linux, Current Windows Server editions
- Administration, Architecture and troubleshooting of cloud platforms (Particularly OpenStack and AWS)
- Virtualisation and Containerisation (VMware vSphere, LXC, Docker, KVM)
- Backup and Disaster Recovery systems (Veeam, Triliovault, rsync)
- Scripting Skills (shell scripts, Perl, Python)
- Troubleshooting tools (Wireshark, tcpdump, perfmon, top, iostat, syslog etc)
- Patching and Patch management (WSUS, Landscape)
- excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and an ability to analyse complex information in order to identify patterns and trends
- Have an exposure and ingrained understanding of Enterprise scale IT (Highly Available Infrastructure) and working to a professional standard.
- strong intercommunication skills
- an ability to work under pressure, particularly when dealing with threats and at times of high demand.
- Have an analytical and professional approach to working
- Self-motivated and driven; an ability to keep up-to-date with the latest emerging trends and best practices
- Have obtained or are working towards obtaining professional accreditations or technical certifications in subjects relevant to the ZSS mix of technologies
- knowledge of computer networks, operating systems, software, hardware and security
- the ability to work as part of a team and to build relationships with staff and other relevant individuals