Principal Software Engineer
- Verisk Business: Extreme Event Solutions
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
This opening is for a Principal Software Engineer at Extreme Event Solutions, a Verisk business in Boston, MA. This role will report to the Assistant Vice President of Operations for the Research and Model Development Department. This department consists of many engineers, scientists, economists, analysts, and mathematicians who develop and maintain a global suite of probabilistic risk models for natural hazards and emerging perils. These risk models are implemented into commercial software products that support the quantification and transfer of risk across the globe.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be uniquely situated between researchers who develop probabilistic risk models and software engineers who develop our commercial software products. This role will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining a unified simulation platform that natural catastrophe models will leverage for performing risk calculations. The architecture of this platform should be compatible with the structure of the commercial software product while providing researchers the functionality and flexibility that is required to explore new and innovative modeling techniques. We are looking for someone who has an interest in developing natural catastrophe models in addition to being an excellent software developer. This person should be able to comprehend the physical concepts that underpin models of different perils as well as understand the flow of large datasets through a series of complex processing algorithms.
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Learn how the existing suite of risk models is developed by researchers
- Collect feedback from modeling and development teams on challenges and inefficiencies
- Understand the implementation of these models within the commercial software product
- Standardize a simulation platform that can accommodate a diverse portfolio of peril models
- Imagine new approaches for efficiently handling vast amounts of simulation data
- Ensure that deliverables satisfy the requirements of our researchers and downstream development partners
Day to Day Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Meet with researchers to understand the flow of data through the loss simulation models
- Optimize the way data is stored and processed to increase computational efficiency
- Understand the capabilities and features that are required for conducting research
- Develop and maintain code to support a standardized yet flexible research platform
- Perform unit testing on the platform to ensure consistency and reproducibility of the results
- Work with implementation engineers to integrate models with our commercial software
- Design and administer the source control management system for the Research Department
Education and Experience
- Degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Preference for candidates with a Civil Engineering background
- 5+ years of experience developing code to support risk modeling
- Demonstrated track-record of efficient programming in C++, C#, or similar high-level language
- Experience working in a collaborative program design environment
- Experience developing computationally efficient applications
- Preference for experience leveraging multi-threading and parallel computing
- Comfortable developing in a Source Control Management System
- Preference for experience administering TFS, Azure DevOps, and/or GitHub Enterprise environments
- Preference for candidates with:
- Working knowledge of SQL, C#, and .NET framework
- Experience developing on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience developing geospatial software and working with geospatial file formats
- Works independently and with minimal supervision
- Multi-tasks and stays organized in a dynamic environment
- Manages a geospatially distributed team of developers
- Brings enthusiasm, energy, and creativity to motivate and inspire your colleagues
- Listens with empathy and provides communication tailored to your audience
- Considers the Voice of the Customer to analyze and solve multi-faceted problems
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the 7th consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.