Senior Seismology Scientist
- Verisk Business: Extreme Event Solutions
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Work with a team of established research scientists and engineers with a diverse background in geology, geophysics, and earthquake seismology and engineering to conduct and assimilate emerging seismic hazard research to develop and enhance models. This moderate sized team is part of the Research Department at the Extreme Event Solutions business unit at Verisk (Verisk). The team’s primary responsibility is to develop earthquake risk assessment models for various regions of the worldwide using the latest science and technology accounting for all types of hazards related or triggered by earthquakes. At this role as a Senior scientist, you will be responsible to develop comprehensive earthquake hazard models incorporating the latest sciences and technology and accounting for all types of uncertainties in seismic source and ground motion intensity modeling.
• Manage the collection and analysis of a wide range of observational data, including historical earthquake catalogs and paleoseismological data, active faults and geodetic data, use them to develop seismicity and earthquake hazard models worldwide
• Conduct research on probabilistic seismic hazard analysis (PSHA) for different types of seismic sources, improve and advance PSHA methodologies for robust short-term and long-term seismic hazard assessment at regional and site level
• Collaborate with other seismologists and earthquake engineers to develop comprehensive and consistent earthquake risk assessment models
• Communicate earthquake hazard and risk model results to internal and external clients
• Must have a strong background (through education and/or research) in active tectonics, earthquake geology and seismology, solid understanding of and experience in seismic hazard analysis
• Must have the ability to interpret geological, geophysical, and historical earthquake data for characterization of seismic sources for hazard analysis
• Solid knowledge with minimum of 3 years of experience in seismic hazard analysis and the ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data and results from all relevant sources of natural hazard information
• Strong analytic skills and proficiency in scientific programming languages, including C++, FORTRAN, Python, R, with 2+ years of experience with at least one of the languages
• Proficiency in working in Windows and Linux/Unix environment, including scripting in languages such as C-shell, Bash, PowerShell
• Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Ph.D. in Geophysics with 5 or more years of research or industry experiences in earthquake hazard related researches, including 3+ years of direct experience in seismic hazard analysis is required.
Extreme event solutions at Verisk (formerly AIR Worldwide) provides risk modeling solutions that help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, Verisk founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, supply chain disruptions, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber incidents. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on Verisk’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, longevity modeling, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. Verisk’s extreme event solutions team is headquartered in Boston, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, please visit www.air-worldwide.com. For more information about Verisk, a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services, please visit www.verisk.com.
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for this position will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.