Seismology Scientist II
- Verisk Business: Extreme Event Solutions
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
Work with a team of established research scientists and engineers with a diverse background in geology, geophysics, and earthquake seismology and engineering to conduct and assimilate emerging seismic hazard research to develop and enhance models. This moderate sized team is part of the Research Department at the Extreme Event Solutions business unit at Verisk (Verisk). The team’s primary responsibility is to develop earthquake risk assessment models for various regions of the worldwide using the latest science and technology accounting for all types of hazards related or triggered by earthquakes. At this role as a Senior scientist, you will be responsible to develop comprehensive earthquake hazard models incorporating the latest sciences and technology and accounting for all types of uncertainties in seismic source and ground motion intensity modeling.
• Manage the collection and analysis of a wide range of observational data, including historical earthquake catalogs and paleoseismological data, active faults and geodetic data, use them to develop seismicity and earthquake hazard models worldwide
• Conduct research on probabilistic seismic hazard analysis (PSHA) for different types of seismic sources, improve and advance PSHA methodologies for robust short-term and long-term seismic hazard assessment at regional and site level
• Collaborate with other seismologists and earthquake engineers to develop comprehensive and consistent earthquake risk assessment models
• Communicate earthquake hazard and risk model results to internal and external clients
• Must have a strong background (through education and/or research) in active tectonics, earthquake geology and seismology, solid understanding of and experience in seismic hazard analysis
• Must have the ability to interpret geological, geophysical, and historical earthquake data for characterization of seismic sources for hazard analysis
• Solid knowledge with minimum of 3 years of experience in seismic hazard analysis and the ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data and results from all relevant sources of natural hazard information
• Strong analytic skills and proficiency in scientific programming languages, including C++, FORTRAN, Python, R, with 2+ years of experience with at least one of the languages
• Proficiency in working in Windows and Linux/Unix environment, including scripting in languages such as C-shell, Bash, PowerShell
• Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Ph.D. in Geophysics with 5 or more years of research or industry experiences in earthquake hazard related researches, including 3+ years of direct experience in seismic hazard analysis is required.
In 2022, Verisk received Great Place to Work® Certification for our outstanding workplace culture for the sixth year in a row and second-time certification in the UK, Spain, and India. We’re also one of the 38 companies on the UK’s Best Workplaces™ list and one of 18 companies on Spain’s Best Workplaces™ list.
For over fifty years and through innovation, interpretation, and professional insight, Verisk has replaced uncertainty with precision to unlock opportunities that deliver significant and demonstrable impact. From our historic roots in risk assessment, we’ve grown to provide analytic insights that help transform industries focused on some of the world’s most critical areas. Today, the insurance industry relies on Verisk to be, and to make the world, more productive, resilient, and sustainable.
Verisk works in collaboration with our customers and at the intersection of people, data, and advanced technologies. Through proprietary platformed analytics, advanced modeling, and interpretation, we deliver immediate and sustained value to our customers and through them, to the individuals and societies they serve, with greater speed, precision, and scale.
We’re 9,000 people strong, committed to translating big data into big ideas. We help others see new possibilities and empower certainty into big decisions that impact individuals and societies. And we relentlessly and ethically pursue innovation to help move our customers, and the world, toward better tomorrows.
Everyone at Verisk—from our chief executive officer to our newest employee—is guided by The Verisk Way, to Be Remarkable, Add Value, and Innovate.
• Be Remarkable by doing something better each day in service to our customers and each other
• Add Value by delivering immediate and sustained results that drive positive outcomes
• Innovate by redefining what’s possible, embracing challenges, and pushing boundaries
Underwriting Solutions — provides underwriting and rating solutions for auto and property, general liability, and excess and surplus to assess and price risk with speed and precision
Claims Solutions — supports end-to-end claims handling with analytic and automation tools that streamline workflow, improve claims management, and support better customer experiences
Property Estimating Solutions — offers property estimation software and tools for professionals in estimating all phases of building and repair to make day-to-day workflows the most efficient
Extreme Event Solutions — provides risk modeling solutions to help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events.
Specialty Business Solutions — provides an integrated suite of software for full end-to-end management of insurance and reinsurance business, helping companies manage their businesses through efficiency, flexibility, and data governance
Marketing Solutions — delivers data and insights to improve the reach, timing, relevance, and compliance of every consumer engagement
Verisk Maplecroft — provides intelligence on sustainability, resilience, and ESG, helping people, business, and societies become stronger
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the 7th consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses’ government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.