Africa Analyst (12 month FTC)
- Edinburgh, UK
- Verisk Business: Maplecroft
Verisk Maplecroft’s data-driven approach to risk enables multinational organizations to understand how and where political, human rights and environmental risks impact their assets, investments, reputations and supply chains. We give our clients the tools to pinpoint and quantify their risk across 150+ issues for any location worldwide, and the expert analysis and advice they need to make better, risk-adjusted decisions that will improve the commercial performance, resilience and sustainability of their business. To learn more about please visit us at: www.maplecroft.com We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Verisk Maplecroft’s Africa Risk Insights team is responsible for developing the company’s qualitative analysis and forecasts relating to political, regulatory, security, economic and social risks across sub-Saharan Africa. The team works closely with Verisk Maplecroft’s analytics, environment and climate change, consulting, and financial markets teams to deliver a range of analytical products and services aimed at multinational companies and financial investors.
Verisk Maplecroft has been providing clients with quantitative and qualitative analysis in the political, economic, social, and environmental spheres since 2001. The Risk Insights team contributes to the development and production of our unrivalled risk exposure datasets, covering 150+ issues and 198 countries globally. The team combines these quantitative tools with unrivalled country expertise to deliver unique commercial insights to our clients.
As a trusted advisor to clients, Verisk Maplecroft also provides bespoke solutions to companies, institutional investors, governments, and international organisations in a variety of sectors, including energy, metals & mining, financial services, and consumer goods. As a key member of our Africa Risk Insights research team, you will be involved in ad hoc, research-based consulting projects alongside other responsibilities.
Note: This role will initially be offered on a 12-month fixed-term contract.
The team is looking to hire an analyst / senior analyst with an in-depth understanding of the political and ESG risk landscape in sub-Saharan Africa and how it may impact the business environment. The analyst will take the lead in generating in-depth and forward-looking analysis of political, regulatory, economic, security and human rights developments in East Africa. The analyst will also work closely with the wider Africa team on cross-cutting regional issues.
- Produce sophisticated and data-driven analysis of commercially relevant political, regulatory, security, economic and social issues across sub-Saharan Africa, with a focus on East Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique)
- Act as a source of insight for Verisk Maplecroft’s clients via analyst calls and ad hoc presentations.
- Ensure that our analytical content remains best-in-class, and where relevant, client focused and/or sector specific.
- Contribute to ad hoc, research-based consulting projects that include an Africa component.
- Contributes to the updating and reviewing of Verisk Maplecroft’s qualitative risk indices in accordance with our methodologies and procedures.
- Support members of the Verisk Maplecroft sales teams with business development activities as a representative of the Africa Risk Insights team.
- Provide innovative ideas and solutions to support improvements in internal processes.
- Develops Verisk Maplecroft’s network of sources and contacts across Africa.
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, international affairs, or another relevant field
- Two to four years of professional experience in a relevant field, including experience working in the energy, mining, or financial sectors or within consultancies supporting clients in these sectors. Exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered if they are able to demonstrate strong potential.
- In-depth understanding of salient political and ESG issues in sub-Saharan Africa, ideally with experience covering East Africa.
- Robust quantitative skills and passion for data-led analysis. Proficiency with statistical techniques and data visualisation will be strongly advantageous.
- Keen commercial acumen and the ability to think laterally when dealing with clients.
- An ability to distil complex events to non-expert audiences with a strong focus on the so-what.
- Excellent written and spoken English, particularly in relation to analytical writing.
- Competency in other regional languages is a distinct advantage.
- An appetite to work in a collaborative environment with colleagues in multiple locations across different time zones.
- An ability to thrive in an environment of robust peer review.
- Organisational and planning skills and the ability to work independently.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.