Technical AI/ML Manager
- Jersey City, NJ, USA
- Verisk Business: Verisk Analytics
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk | AI, the global research team at Verisk Analytics, combines the energy and focus of a start-up with Verisk’s large and unique data assets and deep domain expertise. Our vibrant and growing R&D team of AI and machine learning engineers and scientists draws on Verisk’s massive volumes of data to help our businesses create new technology, services and products in the insurance, finance and energy sectors.
We’re looking for highly skilled, passionate and experienced candidates for technical, scientific, and managerial leadership roles in Verisk | AI. In this role, you will lead the design, development and transition of novel solutions to new products, product enhancements, services, internal process improvements and enterprise-wide platforms. Candidates are expected to have strong problem-solving skills and demonstrated experience in implementing, delivering and deploying machine-learning solutions in business and enterprise settings.
You will support Verisk | AI leadership to identify business problems requiring analytic solutions, lead their design and development, and ensure timely delivery to business units, lead the development of end-to-end AI/ML pipelines and workflows; help incorporate recommended “best practices” and “responsible AI” approaches to ensure reliable and robust pipelines; and help promote and evangelize Verisk | AI platforms, within Verisk as well as in relevant R&D and business communities.
Areas of application are Verisk-wide and include, but are not limited to, natural language processing & understanding, document understanding & information extraction, computer vision, audio and speech analytics, financial & insurance analytics, weather analytics and more!
- Project Management: Define project scope, plan requirements, identify risks, manage team schedules, and communicate clearly with project stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of projects with teams of AI/ML scientists, engineers, and interns.
- AI/ML Platforms and Pipelines: Design, develop and deploy platforms and pipelines to facilitate efficient AI/ML workflows for active & online learning, insurance analytics, ethical & explainable AI, computer vision, text analytics and human-in-the-loop learning; ensure stability and scalability; incorporate "responsible AI” practices.
- AI/ML Applications Development: Identify business problems requiring analytic solutions; gather requirements from business units; design, develop, evaluate and test analytic solutions to meet business requirements around accuracy, sophistication, and interpretability; incorporate technical innovations and new developments; containerize and deploy AI/ML modules in cloud settings (AWS); enable transition of next-generation AI/ML technologies to business verticals.
- Automated and Efficient Data Ops: Help develop first-class tools to automate various data processing and maintenance tasks including data cleaning, data generation and augmentation, automated annotations and labeling, and exploratory data analysis.
- People Management: Manage a team of AI/ML interns, engineers and scientists; work with the team to grow their technical skillset; supervise and evaluate their performance.
- Collaboration with Business Units: Create and bolstering collaborations with Verisk business units via understanding and anticipating their needs and priorities; conception of, and timely and high-quality execution and delivery of AI/ML R&D projects.
- Development of the Verisk Analytic Community: Provide high-level thought leadership for evangelizing and adoption of new AI/ML technologies, software, tools and infrastructure to improve efficiency of Verisk workflows; facilitate knowledge creation and sharing across the Verisk Analytic community.
- Intellectual Property: Help generate intellectual property for Verisk.
- Growing Verisk | AI: Help grow Verisk | AI by increasing its business impact and its visibility; help attract and onboard high-quality talent.
- Bachelor’s in a quantitative field with 12+ years of relevant experience, or Master’s in a quantitative field with 8+ years of relevant experience, or PhD in a quantitative field with 5+ years relevant experience
- 2-4 years of recent experience as a Technical Project Manager, Technical Program Manager, Technical Product Manager, or Technical Lead, including experience managing teams of scientists and engineers
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering/scientific teams
- Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- Strong software development and programming skills.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to learn quickly.
- Deep and broad understanding in AI/ ML and at least one application area – computer vision, natural language processing/understanding and text analytics, speech and audio, financial analytics, optimization or an area of relevance to Verisk.
- Experience in one of the programming languages Python, C/C++/C#, Java, Scala and tools such as Spring, Django, Flask, MySQL, HPC, Go.
- Experience with containerizing using Docker and/or other environments; deployment on AWS, Kubernetes/Kubeflow, CI/CD pipelines or other distributed/cloud platforms.
- Experience or familiarity with AI/ML implementation and development process, understanding of statistical training, fine-tuning tricks (e.g., prevent over fitting, hyperparameter tuning, domain adaptation etc.), hypothesis testing, evaluation and performance hardening.
- Experience or familiarity with ML and Deep Learning libraries such as Scipy, Sklearn, Tensorflow/Keras, PyTorch, H2O.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for this position will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.