Actuarial Analyst II
- Jersey City, NJ, USA
- Verisk Business: ISO
ISO, a Verisk business, has been a leading source of information about property/casualty insurance risk since 1971. For a broad spectrum of commercial and personal lines of insurance, ISO provides statistical, actuarial, underwriting, and claims information and analytics; compliance and fraud identification tools; policy language; information about specific locations; and technical services. ISO serves insurers, reinsurers, agents and brokers, insurance regulators, risk managers, and other participants in the property/casualty insurance marketplace. To learn more about ISO please visit us at: www.verisk.com/iso. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
The Data Engineering & Architecture Lab (DEAL) is responsible for the design and implementation of our core data-systems including data ingestion, data integration, data transformation, data analysis, and analytic dataset construction. We are an innovation group that is charged with visualizing the future of our organization’s operations and leveraging our expertise in data, technology, P&C insurance, and process optimization to provide a first-class analytics environment to our data-collection, data-management, actuarial, and data-analytics colleagues.
The DEAL team is looking to hire an Actuarial/Business Analyst, ideally having a good combination of an analytical/innovative mindset, technical aptitude and communication skills. It is expected that the candidate will have a proven track record of leveraging technology to improve business processes. For internal candidates, this position is open to grade level 13-14.
At this position, you are likely to take on multiple projects simultaneously, sometimes working independently, but more often collaborating across business areas and our IT development partners. You will be responsible for listening to our internal customers’ needs, discerning the true requirements, and designing the solution. Additionally, you will work with the development team to bring your solutions to full production status when necessary.
Some anticipated work assignments include:
· Rapid system development to ingest data submission files into an appropriate database utilizing tools such as SQL, R, and Python
· Working with business areas to identify data processing functions and developing python\SQL functions to execute business logic
· Manage ISO’s core business logic repository and all associated objects
· Designing data wrangling processes to support construction of analytic data sets
· Analyze existing workflows and identify ways to leverage data science techniques to reduce inefficiencies utilizing data visualization and\or report writing with Python, R, and other BI Tools.
· Drafting specifications for data calls, ETL processes, and database architectures
· Serve as data expert on analytics projects that utilize any of ISO’s contributory data assets
· Develop domain knowledge around data related technologies such as cloud infrastructure, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and blockchain
· Contributing to knowledge sharing initiatives and information liberalization
You will be part of a culture that embraces learning and innovation, values teamwork, recognizes and rewards achievements and excellence, and provides personal and professional enrichment opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Economics, Engineering, or Physical Sciences
- Must have passed 1 to 2 actuarial exams
- 1-3 years of P&C insurance industry experience, especially insurance data management, actuarial practices, and the ISO Programs
- Strong analytical, problem solving, decision-making skills and technical aptitude
- Self-motivated, customer oriented, possessing leadership qualities, able to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to create sophisticated analytics queries
- Working knowledge of R, Python, or other general-purpose programming languages
- Familiarity with modern data structures such as JSON and\or XML
- Familiarity with AGILE project management concepts and associated tools
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses’ government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.