Director of Software Engineering
- Edinburgh, UK
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Wood Mackenzie are currently looking for a Director of Software Engineering. In this role will be responsible for the implementation of one of our core product offerings that delivers powerful analytic capabilities focused in the Natural Resources sector, specifically in the transition from fossil fuels to renewables. We will need you to ensure strong communication across teams, the very best engineering practices, and strong architectural foundations for the teams in your care.
- Consistently demonstrate strong leadership/communication skills, initiative and drive
- Make positive contributions to the team and receive positive feedback from team members.
- Participate in the definition and implementation of the engineering team roadmap
- Consistently delivering high quality end products on time and budget
- Measurable improvements to the team’s output and the adoption of best practices and standards
- Holding yourself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers.
- Responsible for smooth execution of complex deliverables across multiple work streams
- Develop and deploy strategies for building high performance development organisation
- Continually evaluate and refine standards and processes to deliver sustained value
- Ensure teams have appropriately high technical competence and strive for excellence
- Create strategic and tactical roadmaps focused on business needs, efficiencies and revenue
- Contribute to architecture and design efforts ensuring deliverables align to product and business needs
- Define, prioritise and facilitate implementation of specific deliverables that improve functionality in support of business need
- Create a positive public presence of the technology organisation, build and manage cross-departmental relationships
- Facilitate cross functional project scoping, estimation and feasibility tasks for intended solutions
- Able to effectively communicate technical concepts to business stakeholders and communicate business objectives to technical teams
- Balance immediate and long-term product/business focused work with technical debt and strategic development.
- Facilitate honest and open communications between disciplines
- Create and maintain a culture of shared responsibility and continuous improvement
- Actively lead the way in technology best practices and standards
- Continuously review and improve the output of engineering teams
- Manage and mitigate high-risk elements of projects, effectively communicate issues, risks and dependencies with project stakeholders, escalating where appropriate
- Review and manage the quality of deliverables ensuring it aligns with our technology strategy
About you and how you can excel in this role
This is a key hire for our Product business and so to be successful in this role you will have excellent technical leadership and stakeholder management capabilities.
- Act as, and be seen as, a respected and trusted strategic advisor both to the technology team and the wider organisation
- Proactively develop ideas and strategic proposals to drive the business forward
- Foster team moral and motivation and encourage a culture of innovation focused on adding value
- Proactively nurture talent of senior staff to build high functioning, motivated teams
- Lead recruiting, headcount management, planning, career growth and training
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, products and platforms in our core technology stacks
- Spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organisation
- Strong technical foundation gained in a senior engineering management role
- Excellent time management, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Strong understanding of web technologies, cloud systems, persistence technologies and modern development patterns and practices
- Strong knowledge of security, scalability and performance concerns
- Track record of managing the delivery of systems and applications at scale involving multiple teams
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.