Senior GIS/Python Developer
- Bath, UK
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Information Technology
Verisk Maplecroft’s data-driven approach to risk enables multinational organizations to understand how and where political, human rights and environmental risks impact their assets, investments, reputations and supply chains. We give our clients the tools to pinpoint and quantify their risk across 150+ issues for any location worldwide, and the expert analysis and advice they need to make better, risk-adjusted decisions that will improve the commercial performance, resilience and sustainability of their business. To learn more about please visit us at: www.maplecroft.com We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
We are looking for a senior python developer with strong GIS experience to join our growing team of developers and analysts at Verisk Maplecroft.
As a part of the client solutions team, you will be contributing to the successful delivery of data analytics and intelligence to our clients, with focus on our geospatial data products by contributing to the geospatial processing scripts and pipelines.
Our primary development language is python, and we leverage open-source geospatial libraries to achieve our objectives. We maintain modern development standards and ensure cutting edge technologies are used throughout our systems.
This is a remote position with flexible hours and substantial employee benefits including dedicated innovation days and significant opportunity to participate in cloud development training and certifications.
- Strong python development experience, able to follow PEP8 standards
- Experience in object-oriented programming concepts, unit & integration testing, data and relational databases and technical database design.
- Experience of developing GIS pipelines in python, leveraging open source libraries such as Fiona, Shapely, Numpy and Rasterio
- Understanding and experience of geoservers, spatial projections, raster and vector manipulation within python and the usage of GDAL
- Experience of working with PostgreSQL with the Post-GIS extension.
- Ability to design and implement data pipelines and data-related solutions, ideally within a cloud environment
- Strong ability to document development including database design, application design and ongoing documentation of changes and modifications.
- Deep understanding about performance and scalability implications in the development process
- Working knowledge of all phases of the software development life cycle. Including basic understanding of identify and authentication management concepts and concepts related to security, such as secret management and key management.
- Ability to review code written by others and provide feedback and recommendations to follow coding guideline.
- Experience working under agile delivery methodology
- Must be able to identify multiple solutions to a given problem and find a rational, fact-based approach for choosing the best one.
- Communication skills are extremely important. You must be able to explain and rationalize such design decisions to a cross functional team.
- Proven experience of taking personal ownership of a product delivery from conception to production
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to continuously changing technology.
- Experience of working with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Understanding and experience of infrastructure as code systems preferably with AWS Cloud Formation/ SAM/ AWS CDK
- Developing and maintaining CI/CD solutions
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.