Senior Engineer I
- Boston, MA, USA
- Verisk Business: AIR Worldwide
AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at: www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
This research engineer position is responsible for developing, enhancing, and supporting the engineering components of AIR’s wind and flood vulnerability models that cover multiple regions and perils, including perils such as extreme winds, storm surge, straight-line wind, tornadic wind, hail, snow, freezing temperatures, and inland flood. General responsibilities include assessing the vulnerability of energy, marine, and other specialty lines assets such as onshore and offshore platforms and rigs, wind and solar farms, cargo, and other specialty and energy assets, to atmospheric perils, and quantifying the impact in terms of monetary loss to these structures, contents, and loss of use (downtime), among others. In this role, you will work closely with a team of structural engineers and atmospheric scientists to perform probabilistic risk assessments. You should have a desire to use your problem-solving skills in applying sound engineering principles to solve unique and challenging problems in the fields of civil/structural engineering and risk assessment. It is expected that you will be highly motivated, detail-oriented, well-organized, able to perform high-quality self-directed research, have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and be team-oriented.
As a member of our Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability Team, your day-to-day responsibilities will include the following:
· Analytical analyses and research aimed towards the development and support of vulnerability functions and monetary loss curves for assets in the energy and marine sectors, including but not limited to onshore and offshore platforms, solar and wind farms, energy storage facilities, marine cargo, marine hull, inland marine, and builders risk.
· Obtain and apply expert knowledge on the insurance space for assets in the energy and marine sectors
· Data acquisition and analysis for the purpose of understanding asset inventory and its vulnerability subjected to atmospheric-based hazards including hurricane winds, coastal and inland flooding, wave impacts, hail, tornadoes, and snow in multiple regions worldwide
· Implementation of research into AIR’s portfolio risk analysis models, including programming loss simulation codes and analysis tools, and probabilistic assessment validation
· Assist in performing research aimed towards the development and support of vulnerability curves for traditional building assets, contents, and time element when needed
· Use of GIS tools for data visualization and analysis
· Real-time and virtual building damage assessments due to natural catastrophes during and after significant events
· Preparation and presentation of work at staff internal and client external meetings as well as technical writing for internal and external publications and client-facing documentation
· 5+ years of experience in probabilistic risk assessment and modeling, particularly in the field of civil engineering with a focus on onshore and offshore energy assets
· 3+ years of industry experience in risk assessment and/or management, or catastrophe modeling. Knowledge and experience associated with the marine and energy insurance sectors is a plus
· Ph.D. in Wind Engineering, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, and/or other relevant fields
· Proficient in C/C++, MATLAB, R, and/or FORTRAN
· Demonstrated data mining skills (SQL and/or statistical analysis)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Knowledge of structural design and nonlinear structural analysis, and/or computational fluid dynamics tools is a plus
· Knowledge of GIS applications (e.g. ArcView) and SQL server is a plus
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.