Tech Lead (Principal Engineer)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Department: Software Development
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Your role will be responsible for the continued development and integration of our Commodities products on the Lens Platform. These products deal with a variety of commodities and broad set of technologies, datasets and cross industry requirements. You will help drive the development and integration of these products. We will need you to ensure adherence to best practice in building modern software architectures with well-designed APIs.
- Lead a culture of product development where solving problems for our customers is the highest priority.
- Act as, and be seen as a technical authority within engineering teams
- Identify emerging technologies or applications and the opportunities to integrate them into our operations and activities
- Ensure engineers are supported and challenged to do valuable work
- Build trust and confidence, and develop cross-departmental relationships Encourage a collective code ownership and learning culture
- Identify recruitment requirements and actively participate in the recruitment process.
- Communicate effectively across functions as required
- Lead implementation and delivery ensuring coding, unit testing, system integration, defect resolution, and technical documentation adheres to our standards
- Consistently demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills, initiative and drive
- Responsible for the overall technical quality of project deliverables
- Proactively identify problems with requirements and communicates these issues early to help course-correct
- Assist in troubleshooting and support efforts for existing systems and applications, focused on improving our existing systems and applications
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Promote shared ownership of code though code reviews, standards and documentation
- Participate in the definition and implementation of the engineering team roadmap.
- Measurable improvements to the team’s output and the adoption of best practices and standards.
- Holding yourself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and expecting the same of co-workers.
- Work in collaboration with team members to perform scoping, estimation and technology feasibility tasks for the intended solution
- Manage dependencies among engineering activities and constantly monitor, assess and control the technical execution
- Address technical queries and elicit, prioritize, and negotiate changes to requirements and defects
- Review and manage the technical quality of deliverables ensuring it aligns with best practices
- Actively promote and set coding best practices including code reuse and readability
- Promote a culture of code quality and continuous improvement
- Present tech talks on design and architecture decisions, approaches and best practices
- Strong data engineering foundation gained in developing commercial applications with traditional (Oracle, SQL, Postgres, etc) and NOSQL databases (Elasticsearch, Neo4, MongoDB, etc) and streaming data (Kafka)
- Strong software development foundation gained in a senior engineering role with proven experience in systems development at scale
- Proven experience in conceptualising, documenting, and developing customer-facing products and applications. Commercial product or analysis experience with commodities market datasets, data feeds and industry conventions.
- Hands on expertise with agile methodologies and comprehensive understanding of modern patterns and practices
- Experience with leading, coaching and mentoring individuals and teams
- Expert level knowledge of multiple technology stacks, object-oriented design approaches and enterprise design patterns
- Solid knowledge of modern enterprise and cloud architectures (e.g. microservices, serverless, event driven, reactive) and containerization methodologies.
- Comfortable with managing technical debt and working with legacy codebases
- Hands on experience with application optimisation, scaling and security. Particularly caching strategies, and large-scale distributed computing
- Proven knowledge of continuous delivery and approaches to continuous integration
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.