Senior Analyst - Energy Storage Supply Chain
- Boston, MA, USA
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Power and Renewables
Wood Mackenzie Power and Renewables provides integrated subscription, research and advisory services to inform and support our client’s commercial and strategic decisions in the complex and rapidly changing electric power industry.
Combining our deep knowledge of solar, wind, storage, and grid technologies, with our global power and fuels modeling and analytical capabilities, Wood Mackenzie can provide data and insight spanning the supply chain, technology costs, policy and market dynamics, fundamentals-based outlooks, price forecasting, asset valuation, and commodity market issues.
This role is part of Wood Mackenzie’s Energy Transition Practice, with a focus on front-of-the-meter energy storage in North America. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing team and make a major contribution to the energy transition. Combining proprietary data with market simulation tools and models, we help our clients understand market trends in energy storage policy, economics, and deployment. Wood Mackenzie directly serves clients who are responsible for the success of their firms’ growth, technology roadmap, competitive positioning, product marketing, and go-to market strategies.
The Analyst corresponds with, presents to, and advises vendors, developers and utility professionals on Wood Mackenzie analyses regarding the changing landscape of the global energy storage supply chain. The Analyst will focus on energy storage technologies and their supply chain, including supply chain tracking and forecasting, vendor and technology competitive assessment, and system cost benchmarking for markets in the US, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
Analysts conduct original quantitative and qualitative market research and deliver analysis through written reports, consulting, client inquiries, and speaking engagements. As a part of Wood Mackenzie’s energy storage research team, the analysts serve clients who are responsible for the success of their firm’s technology roadmap, competitive analysis/positioning, product/market positioning and energy storage (hardware and software) deployment strategies.
The Analyst works as part of a high-performing analyst team in addition to collaborating with Wood Mackenzie’s sales, marketing, and consulting teams.
The Analyst is expected to:
- Conduct primary research on the energy storage system supply chain, including costs, pricing, technology trends, and vendors.
- Build and maintain database-oriented products to track supply trends, cost structures, and outlook of different energy storage technologies.
- Develop a deep understanding of what Wood Mackenzie’s clients require to be successful, with a focus on effectively addressing critical business challenges.
- Write industry-leading research reports regarding trends, vendors and strategies across the energy storage landscape.
- Collaborate with peers across Wood Mackenzie to support research reports, data services, advisory services and conferences (set agenda, recruit speakers, moderate and present).
- Author multiple reports per year and actively develop visibility for this research and Wood Mackenzie through press, social media, and elsewhere.
- Work directly with sales and marketing via internal and external communications to actively help generate new sales, build larger engagements for existing clients, and effectively market completed research.
- Present at Wood Mackenzie-sponsored and industry-related events, and moderate client webinars.
- Establish an industry presence as an influential speaker and thinker; build relationships with senior industry professionals (vendors and utilities) as well as with the journalists who cover the sector and participate in vendor briefings and press inquiries as necessary.
Knowledge and experience requirement
Our products and people are our intellectual capital, so we welcome and reward intellectual excellence, curiosity, and sophisticated thinking and look for:
- Strong understanding of the energy storage market, technology and supply chain.
- At least two years of experience either working for an energy storage company or performing analysis on energy storage technologies through research, consulting, or project development.
- Proven analytical capabilities, both qualitative and quantitative. Highly proficient in manipulating large sets of data in Excel and MS Access, building data models, and writing market analysis.
- Experienced in battery technology cost benchmarking, storage project economic analysis, and technology and vendor competitive analysis.
- Ability to take complex, disparate ideas and distill them into simple, provocative concepts — and willingness to take a stand on competitive positioning of vendors and outcomes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, clients, and industry partners.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a constant desire to innovate. A deep intellectual curiosity about the effect of technology on the evolution of the energy landscape.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. A strong record of academic achievement: B.A. or B.S. minimum; M.S. or M.E. preferred. Engineering background is a plus.
Wood Mackenzie Core Values
Wood Mackenzie is a place where we are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
Wood Mackenzie values everyone’s contribution and helps them reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being.
Our core values are:
• Respect for the Individual
• Confidence with humility
We understand the importance of achieving a balance between work, family and other life commitments. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements to enable the greatest spectrum of talent to contribute to Wood Mackenzie’s success.
This position is preferred to be in Wood Mackenzie’s office in Boston, MA, Chicago, IL, or Houston, TX.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.