Senior Climate Change Consultant
- New York, NY, USA
- Verisk Business: Maplecroft
Verisk Maplecroft’s data-driven approach to risk enables multinational organizations to understand how and where political, human rights and environmental risks impact their assets, investments, reputations and supply chains. We give our clients the tools to pinpoint and quantify their risk across 150+ issues for any location worldwide, and the expert analysis and advice they need to make better, risk-adjusted decisions that will improve the commercial performance, resilience and sustainability of their business. To learn more about please visit us at: www.maplecroft.com We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Verisk Maplecroft is a trusted advisor to clients from a range of sectors, including natural resources, financial services and consumer goods. Within our consulting practice, our well-established Climate Risk and Resilience team has been at the forefront of the ongoing evolution of climate change risk assessment, management and disclosure for over 15 years.
This role will best suit you if you’re passionate about climate change and trained in climate science, but also interested in helping global companies manage broader related environmental and social challenges.
As a Senior Consultant, you will support the team in the planning, design and delivery of workstreams on large projects as well as management of smaller engagements. You will work closely with client teams, building strong relationships characterized by high levels of trust, and contribute towards developing new business.
In addition to working on individual consulting projects, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of Verisk Maplecroft’s overall climate risk products, dashboards and services, promote our climate work through various public engagements, and support delivery of projects across other sustainability fields.
The role will may also involve a degree of domestic and international travel for short periods of time (i.e. days rather than weeks), depending on project requirements and travel restrictions.
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
As a key member of our Climate and Resilience team, you will work collaboratively to help deliver a range of projects for global corporate clients. Depending on the skills and experience of the successful candidate, this is likely to include:
- Climate change risk and opportunity assessment for company assets, business groups, investments and value chains, including providing advice to improve climate risk management
- Reporting and disclosure, including drafting content for corporate reports, benchmarking and gap assessments against external standards, data collection and management, and supporting the submission of company disclosures (e.g. CDP)
- Co-development of climate-related products for the financial services industry, including ETFs, Green Bonds and ESG index funds
- Location-based risk and opportunity assessments focused on other elements of natural capital, such as biodiversity, deforestation, etc.
- Supporting business development activities, including project scoping with clients, proposal writing and creating engaging thought leadership material
- Depending on experience, you may also help conduct scenario analysis, including quantifying climate change losses under different scenarios for corporate clients, as well as modelling impacts of climate risk on financial institution portfolios
- Several qualifications would help prepare you for this role, including (but not limited to) a masters or PhD in natural sciences or a quantitative field with exposure to climate change concepts and data; a masters or equivalent qualification in sustainability, carbon management or energy; a strong STEM undergraduate degree
- Good understanding of climate projections and impacts modelling
- Understanding of climate risk management approaches, and knowledge of related disclosure standards and guidance
- Exposure to data science, natural catastrophe risk modelling, GIS or integrated assessment models would be beneficial
- Strong data analysis and visualisation skills and an aptitude for working with large datasets (e.g. familiarity with, and ability to manipulate, NetCDF file format)
- Ability to work flexibly, to tight deadlines, while managing your own schedule
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.