Senior Software Architect
- Calgary, AB, Canada
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Software Development
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
For the past 40 years, Wood Mackenzie has established its reputation as a trusted source of intelligence, enriching lives by empowering clients with unique insight into the world’s natural resources.
Now, as part of the Verisk Analytics family, that legacy is even stronger. Aligning with the world’s leading data analytics company extends our ability to help clients overcome the toughest challenges with our unrivaled analysis and advice.
We will continue to build on the power of our existing approach to assess and value individual assets and companies, allowing our clients to pursue the most promising opportunities.
Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence that informs the strategic decisions that will ultimately shape the future direction of our global natural resources.
Petrotranz Inc. is a technology company that is dedicated to driving the energy industry forward with its innovative solutions and exceptional customer service. The key to Petrotranz past and on-going success has undoubtedly been its dedication to the development and support of its exceptional team members. It is with this group of talented, passionate, and dedicated individuals that the Petrotranz DevOps team has played a critical role in helping Petrotranz meet not only its social and corporate goals but also to push the boundaries of innovation and technology for the energy industry.
We are seeking an individual with 8+ years of front-end web development experience. In this role, you will be responsible for working with other key team members to architect, design, develop and deliver an innovative software product suite to the energy industry. This will be a hands-on, Software Development position with an opportunity to make a positive and lasting impact on Petrotranz’ success. To be successful in this position, you will need to be able to work collaboratively in a high-pressure, deadline-driven, agile development environment.
You should view this as a position that will allow you to help shape the future of the energy industry with new and innovative solutions. This will be a highly visible position that will require the passion of a software developer, critical thinking of an engineer, heart of a teacher, and soul of an entrepreneur. If are interested in this role you should have the previously mentioned traits, have strong communication skills, and have an interest in the energy industry, then this may be the position for you.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and senior development team members to discover, design, architect, develop and rapidly deliver new intuitive, user-centric solutions.
- Collaborate with user experience and product management team members to ensure our solutions effectively address identified solution opportunities and deliver exceptional user experiences.
- Confer with other internal development teams to identify, design, leverage and develop key cross-functional integrations when applicable.
- Enthusiastically work with user experience and product management team members to provide technical expertise in the development of detailed requirements and specifications.
- Review, research, recommend and implement new technologies/design patterns throughout the suite of Petrotranz products to ensure they remain at the forefront of innovation.
- Promote SOILD principals, “Clean Code”, and a Test-Driven Development (TDD) mindset to ensure high-quality solutions are delivered successfully in an agile environment.
· Mentor, teach and participate in technical discussions with other development team members.
· Provide development estimations, reports, and updates to the Director of Research as required.
Within 3 months, you will have:
· Collaborated with user experience and product management team members on the discovery, design, architecture, technology stack discussions of a new web-based application.
· Collaborated with user experience. product management and senior development team members to implement an Agile Dual Track approach to support the continuous discovery and delivery of the new web-based application.
· Delivered prototypes/proofs-of-concept.
· Write unit tests to ensure stability and quality.
Within 8 months, you will have:
· Helped deliver the first Minimum Viable Product (MVP) of our new solution.
· Owned and been responsible for the delivery of an entirely new feature, from front to back while managing the expectations of other developers and product owners.
· Contributed to code reviews on a regular basis.
Knowledge & Experience
- You have a love for all things technical.
- You are obsessed with detail and quality.
- You are hungry to learn new skills.
- You are an excellent communicator, both with clients and with your team.
- You are professional, patient, and diplomatic while dealing with complex challenges.
- You have a strong passion and dedication towards your role, the company, all customers, and partners.
- You are comfortable handling fluid and demanding work environment which coincides with a start-up mentality.
- You value creativity and a strong work ethic.
- You are a self-starter and work well with a team.
- A minimum of 8+ years of industry-related experience.
- You should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related.
- You must have analytical, qualitative, and logical problem-solving skills.
- You must be professional and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You can multi-task and are extremely organized.
- Solid experience building responsive enterprise-level applications with React, Vue, Angular, or other appropriate front-end technologies.
- Strong knowledge of microservices and serverless architecture.
- Strong knowledge of OO programming, Functional Programming, Domain-Driven Design (DDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- Strong experience with the following: HTML5, MVC, JSON, JSON Schema, REST, OAuth2, JWT, XML, XSD, and Web Services.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure, Microsoft SQL Server, CD/CI, TeamCity, Git, NodeJs, NPM/Yarn, Terraform, Data Lakes, Data Warehouse, and Big Data would also be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with the Agile Dual Track approach of continuous discovery and delivery would also be considered an asset. Ability to manage expectations of stakeholders.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.