Head of Data Pipeline
- Houston, TX, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Verisk Business: Wood Mackenzie
- Department: Analytics Community
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Wood Mackenzie has an exciting opportunity for a Head of Data Pipeline (a data engineering group) with excellent problem solving, teamwork and leadership skills to join our industry-leading data analytics organization. Wood Mackenzie are an industry-leading data analytics company that provides analysis and insight on the world’s natural resources. Our global team are working on a next generation, data analysis & visualization platform utilized by our customers to drive billion-dollar decisions.
About the role
Working within our Data group, you will be responsible for leading teams of data engineers that onboard and process data by implementing data pipelines within our data platform. These teams work cross-functionally to incorporate our Data Governance, Data Architecture, and Technology Strategies into the pipelines that deliver our most valuable data assets to the business and customers.
You will be collaborating with other technology and data leaders to develop guiding principles and enterprise best practices. The data engineers that you lead will work on a variety of cross-functional teams that are responsible for end to end data delivery (from raw source data to consumable data assets).
- Assuming the responsibility for well-governed, business critical, and complex data pipeline(s)
- Managing a constantly evolving landscape of business-critical data to support the organization’s research services and product offerings
- Serving the production data needs of new applications and products through implementation of robust pipelines within our data platform and by employing supported technologies
- Developing a deep understanding of Energy and Natural Resources data and data models
- Continuous innovation in data engineering through development of new methodologies
- Leading teams of talented data engineers and collaborating with Analytics and business teams across different departments
- Ensure Data Governance policies and strategies are implemented in data pipelines
- Ensure data pipelines deliver data as designed by Data Architecture and common data model(s)
- Promote a culture of collaboration by contributing to process design activities of wider technology efforts
- Champion career development programs to retain top talent
- Inspire a culture of continuous learning, especially in data engineering practices
- Build, lead and motivate high performing teams to deliver high quality outcomes
- Drive groups of disparate interests to decisions, and clearly communicating and seeing those decisions through to impact
- Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging data technologies
- Manage stakeholders at different levels (C-level, SVPs, VPs, Principal Engineers) within Wood Mackenzie and Verisk
About you and how you can excel in this role
This is a key hire for our Data leadership team and so to be successful in this role you will have excellent leadership and stakeholder management capabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree with 15 years or a Master’s degree with 12 years relevant experience or a PhD with 8 years of experience in a quantitative field
- At least 8 years’ experience in project and team management including demonstrated experience in leading Data Engineering projects
- Comfortable with software development practices, such as agile frameworks, version control, dev ops
- Programming experience in Python, plus one or more of Spark, SAS, R
- In depth knowledge of building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills
- A depth of knowledge in one or more of Big Data Platforms, Predictive Modeling, Machine Learning, Entity Resolution, Time-series Forecasting, Graph Databases, Network Analytics, Neural Networks, NLP, Computer Vision, ASR
- Expert knowledge of relational databases and NoSQL (e.g., Hadoop, HBase, MongoDB and/or Neo4j) databases
- Expert experience in distributed computing technologies, such as Spark.
- Proven knowledge on real-time data streaming systems such as Kafka and Spark Streaming.
- Proven knowledge in large-scale data warehousing and analytics technologies, including using AWS major technologies – such as Glue, Athena, Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies.
- Advanced skill with data mining, extracting and parsing data using various formats like Parquet, Json, Xml, Avro etc.
- Critical thinker and problem solver demonstrating the ability to assess business challenges and provide actionable, outcome-based business/technical advice
- Collaborative leadership style, driving direction through influence and manage ambiguous situations
- Developing coaching and mentoring individuals and teams
- An ability to build strategic internal partnerships with key roles across the organisation and positively impact change.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.